• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks’ biggest score happened only because Hauschka told Pete Carroll to go for it

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Sometimes, great coaching moments come from a team's leader making the exact right call at the right time.

And other times, the kicker talks you into going for it on fourth down and you end up with the biggest touchdown of the playoffs.

The Seahawks were going to go for a field goal on fourth-and-7 in the fourth quarter of Sunday's NFC championship game against the 49ers. Seattle trailed by four points, and it would have been a 53-yard attempt. Thankfully for Seattle coach Pete Carroll, kicker Steven Hauschka wasn't too proud to tell him he didn't think he could make the kick.

Instead, the Seahawks called timeout and went for it, and Russell Wilson hit Jermaine Kearse for a 35-yard touchdown. Seattle took the lead on that play and never trailed again, winning their second NFC championship in franchise history.

"I didn't really want to kick it, to tell you the truth," Hauschka said, according to Newsday. "It was into the wind . . . I didn't think it was the right decision and I let coach Carroll know that.

"You have to be honest with yourself. It was the wind at that moment. Sometimes you can make that, but I felt the wind at that moment was into the face enough to not want to try that kick. I grabbed him on the sideline as I ran out because I could see the flags [on top of the uprights] and I told him: 'We shouldn't kick this.'"

Carroll deserves credit too. He's the type of coach who will invite feedback from his players. Though, hearing a kicker tell you he doesn't think he is going to make a 53-yard field goal you want him to attempt kind of makes that decision a bit easier.

Not only did Hauschka's audible turn out well, the play itself changed on the snap. As MMQB.com explained, an offside penalty on the 49ers meant the Seahawks automatically changed their routes to run deep. Wilson hit Kearse for the score.

The biggest touchdown of the Seahawks' dream season has a pretty cool story behind it. It'll grow to mythical status if Seattle goes on to win its first Super Bowl.

Was that brave or what? Telling your coach it's better I don't kick it? I think that takes more nerve than trying it. Wow...

Top Bottom