• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Safe pick vs the right pick

Idahawk

Reaction score
Ponder this all you Safe Picker's.....enjoy that OL :D

Pete Prisco from CBS looks at the 2007 NFL draft and the direction the Cardinals took. He reports that Arizona came pretty close to drafting Adrian Peterson, arguably the most dynamic running back in the league at the moment. When Joe Thomas (OT, Wisconsin) was selected by Cleveland with the third overall pick, the Cardinals were left to contemplate taking the second best tackle on their board (Levi Brown, Penn State) or take Peterson.

With reported 'fighting' in the war room over the pick, the Cardinals took Brown to help the running game as a mauling right tackle. Their running game is no better for the pick, but would it have been different with such an explosive player in the backfield? There were concerns about Peterson's durability - especially with such an upright running style. Did Arizona take the safe pick instead of the pick with the most talent? Even considering their appearance in Tampa this weekend would they have been even better?

"If Peterson were here, readying to play the Steelers, can you imagine what they would be saying about this Arizona offense? It would be considered one of the greatest ever, no matter who was playing right tackle in place of Brown." - - Pete Prisco

S

Seattlehawk94

But with Peterson they might not be where they are at, you can't say "what if" for team in the Superbowl. Maybe for a team like us at double digit losses but never for a team in the Superbowl.

Maybe Peterson fumbles on that Hightower 1st Down and they don't get to the Superbowl, maybe Brown not being there saving Warner's strongside results in him getting injured and they don't win the west?

Too many "what if's" when it comes to a team that's gone this far in the playoffs.

Reaction score
Exactly I remember a few of our "what ifs" our Super Bowl year. My dream is when I am a well known writer is to someday write a sport book on "what ifs" and "curses in sports".

That will be a few years down the road and is something I've somewhat started, but don't have the time to investigate everyone that I would like to!

Reaction score
Idahawk said:
Ponder this all you Safe Picker's.....enjoy that OL :D

Pete Prisco from CBS looks at the 2007 NFL draft and the direction the Cardinals took. He reports that Arizona came pretty close to drafting Adrian Peterson, arguably the most dynamic running back in the league at the moment. When Joe Thomas (OT, Wisconsin) was selected by Cleveland with the third overall pick, the Cardinals were left to contemplate taking the second best tackle on their board (Levi Brown, Penn State) or take Peterson.

With reported 'fighting' in the war room over the pick, the Cardinals took Brown to help the running game as a mauling right tackle. Their running game is no better for the pick, but would it have been different with such an explosive player in the backfield? There were concerns about Peterson's durability - especially with such an upright running style. Did Arizona take the safe pick instead of the pick with the most talent? Even considering their appearance in Tampa this weekend would they have been even better?

"If Peterson were here, readying to play the Steelers, can you imagine what they would be saying about this Arizona offense? It would be considered one of the greatest ever, no matter who was playing right tackle in place of Brown." - - Pete Prisco
I think that the difference in AZ this year has been their line. Warner has not been abused like previous seasons. One of the remarkable things about that team is that their whole line has stayed healthy all year. They have also had time to build continuity with each other, which is why the Seahawks 05 line was the best in the NFL. With the best line came a superbowl appearance. Adrian Peterson went to Minnestota who has one of that 05 lines most important pieces, Hutch. Had he gone to AZ and their line had not been improved, he would have possibly been called a bust. Now I of course know that it takes more than a good OL to win, but that is where it starts. Superstars skill position players are created by being on teams that can protect the QB, and open holes for the RB.

Reaction score
Exactly line is very important. I think Ruskell has learned that. If you also look at the Giants last year their line is one of the bests. A key reason they did what they did last year.

S

Seattlehawk94

Hawk096 said:
Exactly I remember a few of our "what ifs" our Super Bowl year. My dream is when I am a well known writer is to someday write a sport book on "what ifs" and "curses in sports".

What if:
the refs didn't fix the game?
Feeley makes ONE of those kicks?
Dallas pulls that game out?
Shauna stayed in the Deadskins game?
Brown MAKES that kick in DC?

Lot's of what if's happen in a great season....In a bad season, not so many...

Reaction score
I think what Pete Prisco is trying to say with this article is that it takes no credentials to be a sportswriter!

S

Seattlehawk94

vanillathrilla said:
I think what Pete Prisco is trying to say with this article is that it takes no credentials to be a sportswriter!

Pretty much....I read Pricksco when he was in a non-NFL Jacksonville, he was a shitty writer then..

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
What if Adrian Peterson did not have one of the greatest lines in the NFL blocking for him?

what if we had that line ..does JJ have an AP like season ? NOT

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Idahawk said:

Probably not. But I bet he produces more consistently.

I am not disagreeing that Peterson has great talent and ability, but his line is a big part of his success. Whether you want the Seahawks to draft an OL or not, the battle is always won in the trenches. Without a good line, you cannot run; you cannot pass.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
Idahawk said:

Probably not. But I bet he produces more consistently.

I am not disagreeing that Peterson has great talent and ability, but his line is a big part of his success. Whether you want the Seahawks to draft an OL or not, the battle is always won in the trenches. Without a good line, you cannot run; you cannot pass.

And i agree 1000% I just don't agree with taking that OL with a #4 pick.....adding to an area where we have depth and have yet to see if our past picks have what it takes..while passing on area in which you have a real need, is not my first choice.

If anybody could prove to me where adding an OL will make JJ a better back then I say do it....in the mean time I think a better back makes the OL job easier and since we have been told that we will be a run heavy offense...I believe that adding a back or wr is the best choice..

Reaction score
What is it that makes you think we have depth there? We don't. Drafting a top OL means he will play on the opposite side of Walt, until Walt is done. That would give us a strong line of BOTH sides, making Julie a better runner? Get it yet?

Reaction score
Hawk096 said:
What if of this year:

We stay healthy?!

still would not have gone anywhere
The D for the most part was healthy and the same 11 from previous year and they sucked
Matt would have won 2 more games I'd guess. Our Oline is getting old, slow, and they never have stayed healthy since the SB.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
vanillathrilla said:
What is it that makes you think we have depth there? We don't. Drafting a top OL means he will play on the opposite side of Walt, until Walt is done. That would give us a strong line of BOTH sides, making Julie a better runner? Get it yet?

Everything here is complete bullshit...GET THAT !

Top Bottom