• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cyber surfing: Monday

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Good morning. Here’s what’s “out there” about the Seahawks for today, Oct. 3:
Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times sizes up the Seahawks’ 30-28 loss to the Falcons on Sunday, when what would have been a historic comeback fell short when Steven Hauschka’s 61-yard field goal attempt did the same. Offers O’Neil: “And after Seattle came up short, (coach Pete) Carroll looked at his team and saw more progress against Atlanta than he had in a victory over the Cardinals a week earlier. ‘Last week was terrific to get the win,’ Carroll said. ‘But we gained more today. I think we proved more today.’ ”
Also at the Times, Steve Kelley suggests the Seahawks go no-huddle as their basic offensive approach after it produced the comeback against the Falcons as well as their only TD drive in last week’s win over the Cardinals. Says Kelley: “What if the Seahawks had opened the game this way? What if they came out Sunday fast-breaking? Pushing the tempo. Running and gunning. Scurrying the Atlanta Falcons until their defense was gasping like smokers on Kilimanjaro. What if Seattle quarterback Tarvaris Jackson could have started this Sunday in a no-huddle offense, playing fast, making decisions like a point guard on the run, reacting instead of thinking. Playing football like street ball. In a rebuilding year, with an offense that still is getting to know each other, with the season one-quarter gone and with only one win, why not be more unconventional? Why not no-huddle?”
Still more from the Times, as Percy Allen looks at Doug Baldwin’s continuing impact on the Seahawks. Says Allen about the rookie free agent: “Four games into his rookie season, he’s arguably the second-best receiver for the Seahawks. ‘I’ve got a chip on my shoulder and honestly I’ve always had it, but I don’t think about it in those terms, like I’m trying to be better than this guy or that guy,’ said Baldwin, who leads Seattle with 12 receptions and 194 receiving yards. ‘It just helps keep me focused. Knowing where I’ve been and how I got here, I guess I don’t take anything for granted.’ ”
Dave Boling at the News Tribune likes what he saw from Tarvaris Jackson in his fourth game as the Seahawks’ quarterback. Says Boling: “Jackson finished with a career-high 319 passing yards after 25 completions in 38 attempts for a 96.3 passer rating – all of which is remarkable given the Seahawks had the ball for less than 20 minutes. By comparison, Atlanta’s Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Ryan passed for fewer yards (291) and had a lower rating (94.4) while having the ball for twice as long.”
Also at the News Tribune, John McGrath also votes for more no-huddle moving forward, as it helps the Seahawks’ offense do just that. Says McGrath: “Buoyed by a scoring drive that featured the no-huddle offense against Arizona, the Seahawks had been working on it during practice. Carroll talked about wanting to sustain a quicker tempo on game days. There weren’t any secrets. Nobody should have been surprised when the Hawks finally moved the ball after going no-huddle on their second play of the third quarter.”
Rich Myhre at the Everett Herald looks at Carroll’s decision to go for the 61-yard field goal. Says Carroll: “We were going to take a shot at making a historic kick. And if we do it, we win a great football game. … Steven’s got a big leg. This was going to be a career kick, but he’s got enough leg to hit a big kick.”
Also at the Herald, John Boyle says the idea of trying a 61-yarder was no more preposterous than the Seahawks erasing a 27-7 deficit. Offers Boyle: “After all, the Seahawks had been down 20 points in the third quarter, and considering their offensive struggles through three games, the thought of a comeback seemed as likely as, well, a 61-yard field goal. But after spotting the Falcons a 17-point halftime lead that grew to 20 early in the third quarter, the Seahawks suddenly came alive and looked nothing like the team that, through three games, had scored only 30 points and ranked 31st in the league in total offense.”
Christian Caple at PI.com also takes a look at that last, long kick. Says Caple: “There have been only five made field goals in NFL history of 61 yards or longer. The two longest, 63-yarders by Jason Elam and Sebastian Janikowski, were made in the helpful air at Mile High Stadium in Denver. And Hauschka’s career-long is 54 yards, made in 2008 against Houston while playing for Baltimore. Problem is, CenturyLink Field ain’t in Denver. It’s in Seattle. And Hauschka’s last-ditch kick fell well short, was well wide …”
Mike Sando at ESPN.com wraps up the Seahawks’ loss. Here’s what he liked: “Seattle showed greater potential on offense. Sidney Rice’s 52-yard scoring reception from Jackson served notice, again, that the Seahawks’ big-ticket addition in free agency is a difference maker in the passing game. Jackson made an effort to get Mike Williams involved. Williams caught a touchdown pass before leaving the game with a head injury. Jackson also made a clutch scramble for a first down in Falcons territory when the Seahawks needed points in the fourth quarter. Marshawn Lynch, contained most of the day, broke free for an 11-yard scoring run as the Seahawks pulled within 27-21 late in the third quarter. Jackson’s mobility helped buy time on a late scoring pass to Ben Obomanu as the Seahawks rallied to within 30-28. Also, receiver Doug Baldwin bounced back from a huge hit to make a 30-yard reception. He took another big hit, this one helmet to helmet, making a key reception in the fourth quarter. There was no flag. Baldwin returned to the game and kept making plays. He’s been a huge find for Seattle.”
Here at Seahawks.com, we’ve got Sunday’s game covered in words, pictures and video. We’ve also got the “Game at a glance” that looks at Jackson’s winning performance in the loss.
For a recap of another wild Sunday in the NFL, there’s Peter King’s “Monday Morning Quarterback” at SI.com, John Clayton’s “Last Call” at ESPN.com and Clark Judge’s “Judgements” at CBSSports.com.

b.gif
oge1WIpS_Sk

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom