• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Coutu or Mare?

Reaction score
Mare went 1 for 3 (2 of those were in the Chiefs game where "it was slick") and Coutu went 4 for 5 (1 of those were in the Chiefs game). The longest that I remember Coutu kicking the ball on a kickoff was to the 5 while Mare kicked it into the end zone.

A lot of people would rather have the more experienced kicker, but Coutu is the type of kicker you don't want to pass up on and obviously this team thinks highly of him if they kept him all last year. Mare likely only has a few years left on him and then we will be stuck looking for a kicker again.

Remember how old Josh Brown was when he started kicking for the Seahawks? If you don't, he was 24. Coutu is 24.

So, Coutu or Mare?

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I heard a comment questioning whether touchbacks were as valuable this year with the three man blocking wedge on returns being illegal. Getting to the returner should be easier for kicking teams generating shorter returns.

So do you value field goals or touchbacks more?

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
I heard a comment questioning whether touchbacks were as valuable this year with the three man blocking wedge on returns being illegal. Getting to the returner should be easier for kicking teams generating shorter returns.

I think if we keep one kicker, and Ruskell says we will, we should go with Coutu.

He is younger, has better accuracy on his field goals and has franchise kicker potential written all over him.

Now the only knock on him is that he doesn't put the ball deep into the endzone on kick-offs.. Mare does.

But, when Coutu kicks off to the 7 or the 5, he gets much better hang time and our special teams has more time to get down the field to make the tackle.

Mare's kicks have more of a line drive, and not as much hang time. Several times when kicked into the endzone they were returned, and for big yards too. A big part of that blame falls on our special teams for not making the tackles though.

Plus Mare isn't young, I am not sure but this is either his 11-13th season (too lazy to look up) and he has already missed lots of games in his career due to the hip injury and could go down anytime. With Coutu you get a young guy who's only going to get better.

my 2 cents

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE said:
[quote="Number 18":2zf8zl5t]I heard a comment questioning whether touchbacks were as valuable this year with the three man blocking wedge on returns being illegal. Getting to the returner should be easier for kicking teams generating shorter returns.

I think if we keep one kicker, and Ruskell says we will, we should go with Coutu.

He is younger, has better accuracy on his field goals and has franchise kicker potential written all over him.

Now the only knock on him is that he doesn't put the ball deep into the endzone on kick-offs.. Mare does.

But, when Coutu kicks off to the 7 or the 5, he gets much better hang time and our special teams has more time to get down the field to make the tackle.

Mare's kicks have more of a line drive, and not as much hang time. Several times when kicked into the endzone they were returned, and for big yards too. A big part of that blame falls on our special teams for not making the tackles though.

Plus Mare isn't young, I am not sure but this is either his 11-13th season (too lazy to look up) and he has already missed lots of games in his career due to the hip injury and could go down anytime. With Coutu you get a young guy who's only going to get better.

my 2 cents[/quote:2zf8zl5t]

Nice analysis...some pretty valid points, especially about the kick off inside the 10...sorry about your Ducks last night by the way.

Reaction score
Walddo said:
#ONE said:
[quote="Number 18":3abweah5]I heard a comment questioning whether touchbacks were as valuable this year with the three man blocking wedge on returns being illegal. Getting to the returner should be easier for kicking teams generating shorter returns.

my 2 cents

Nice analysis...some pretty valid points, especially about the kick off inside the 10...sorry about your Ducks last night by the way.[/quote:3abweah5]

haha don't worry about it man.

I see my post about the game and what happened following has been deleted.

all good

S

Seattlehawk94

You left out one thing Duckman...He's cheaper in salary terms as well...

I'm for Mare because of the kickoffs....It's worth the premium price you pay him over Cout..

Reaction score
no they weren't they were moved to the college football section

#ONE said:
quote]

haha don't worry about it man.

I see my post about the game and what happened following has been deleted.

all good

BlueTsunami45

Huddler
Reaction score
Since I'm a field position advocate, and believe this game is all about that, I like Mare because of his deep kickoffs. I'm banking on our defense locking teams down and giving our offense the short field.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
I like the point that was made about kicking it to the 5 or kicking it into the end zone. When it's kicked into the end zone by Mare it typically gets to the returner quicker than when Coutu kicks the ball to the 5.

Coutu:
2nd Year Player, no Regular Season experience
Very Accurate Field Goals
Kickoffs to the 5 (More Hang Time)
24 Years Old

Mare:
14th season
Accurate Field Goals
Kickoffs into the end zone (Less Hang Time)
36 Years Old

Reaction score
better to use the starting point of the drive vs where the ball lands. If the one that lands on the five is in the air 5 seconds vs the one in the endzone with 3.5 hangtime I'll take the 5 sec.
Like I said I want to see the numbers of where the ball starts the drive at.

phaZe said:
I like the point that was made about kicking it to the 5 or kicking it into the end zone. When it's kicked into the end zone by Mare it typically gets to the returner quicker than when Coutu kicks the ball to the 5.

Coutu:
2nd Year Player, no Regular Season experience
Very Accurate Field Goals
Kickoffs to the 5 (More Hang Time)
24 Years Old

Mare:
14th season
Accurate Field Goals
Kickoffs into the end zone (Less Hang Time)
36 Years Old

Reaction score
naw still mare, he had a bad day...really i agree he is a pro kicker its all he does, there should be no bad days in clear weather on field turf, but i think he will learn from this and make them count down the road...

Top Bottom