• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who to Draft.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;54646 said:
Even some winners bust....But alot of winning QBs don't even GET A CHANCE in the NFL let alone go in the 1st Round....

Winning in college is overated it's been proven.

Gino Torretta, Ken Dorsey, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Craig Erickson, David Green, Tee Martin, Danny Wurfell, Chris Weinke, etc

Those guys all failed. John Elway was a loser in college he turned out okay. Bledsoe had a losing record as well I think he was good too.

A quarterback can only do so much and if he isn't surrounded by talent he won't look very good. On the flip side if a quarterback is surrounded by tons of talent he'll look really good by comparison.

S

Seattlehawk94

Joe Montana, Manning, Aikman, Marino, Staubach, Brees, Flutie, Young, McMahon, Burnell, and many others were on good to great CFB teams and turned out alright..

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Yes but Manning's team didn't win a National title until he left. Aikman couldn't beat Rodney Pete to go to a Rose Bowl both years at UCLA.

My point is judge talent over who happened to be surrounded by better teammates.

S

Seattlehawk94

Tee Martin cant be called a "failure" he was never given a chance..Much like Tony Rice, Jason Gesser, Timmy Chang, Colt McCoy, etc.. And to me that's bullshit, I don't care about the "system/teammates/doesn't look like a QB" bullshit excuses those guys won and set records they at least deserved a chance..

Dave Dickenson won National Championship at Montana, set records doing it, never got a fucking shot..Now he's going to be a CFL HOFer..Earned at least a look in the NFL but because some asshats who think they know the game said that kinda shit be never threw an NFL pass....THAT is why I've never dissed Erickson, when be was in the NFL he took a chance on Kitna because the kid was a winner that took balls..

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
The Kitna story was kind of luck. Erickson had a nephew on the CWU team or perhaps he never notices Kitna. Now Kitna wasn't a great NFL QB but he proved he belong in the NFL.

While I was at CWU Mike Reiley tore it up in fact broke Kitna's records. I used to tell people he was the best college QB in the state(sorry Jake) and he gets try outs for NFL teams(including Seahawks for like a week) but he can't ever catch a break.

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
Lets be real, he is not gonna come to seattle. He is gonna get alot of offers from a whole lot of teams. Haven't seen the list of all the corners in FA but with earl thomas getting better and depending on where we upgrade our team we will be alright.

seakwak

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm okay with getting a guy like Locker or Ponder and having him sit behind Matt for a year. We need a superstar WR e.g. Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, etc. Mike Williams would be a fantastic #2, and Butler and Tate are good, quick slot receivers but none of the WRs that we currently have are going to strike fear into opposing defenses.

1st pick: WR/CB
2nd pick: QB/WR/CB
3rd pick: whichever of the 3 positions we haven't taken yet.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
seakwak;55615 said:
I'm okay with getting a guy like Locker or Ponder and having him sit behind Matt for a year. We need a superstar WR e.g. Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, etc. Mike Williams would be a fantastic #2, and Butler and Tate are good, quick slot receivers but none of the WRs that we currently have are going to strike fear into opposing defenses.

1st pick: WR/CB
2nd pick: QB/WR/CB
3rd pick: whichever of the 3 positions we haven't taken yet.

Seeing that we are drafting at #25, there isn't going to be a guy like Calvin Johnson available. WR would be nothing more than a luxury pick at this point. We need to sure up the OL/DL in the draft. QB is a thought depending on who falls to us and who is available in later rounds. CB is a big hole, but again it depends who falls to us and who gives us the best value with pick 25.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;55620 said:
We have enough needs that we can just pick the best player that isn't a LB, S, or RB.

So you think a WR at #25 would be fine? I disagree completely but I would like to hear your reasoning. I just think when you are in the position we are as a franchise and our WR position is content (not great just content) then you don't use a first round pick when there are so many other blaring needs.

seakwak

Huddler
Reaction score
dmarkholt12;55618 said:
Seeing that we are drafting at #25, there isn't going to be a guy like Calvin Johnson available. WR would be nothing more than a luxury pick at this point. We need to sure up the OL/DL in the draft. QB is a thought depending on who falls to us and who is available in later rounds. CB is a big hole, but again it depends who falls to us and who gives us the best value with pick 25.

Why do you assume that a quality WR can only be taken in the top 5-10 picks? Obviously Calvin Johnson was, but there are plenty of examples (that I don't need to list) of great WRs that were taken later in the first round and later in the entire draft for that matter. I'm not saying that we should grab a WR at 25 just for the sake of having one, but we should at least pick up one along the way. I agree that CB is definitely a pretty pressing issue, but I'm hoping we can pick up a guy like Grimes or Joseph in FA. DL is pretty solid with Clemons and Mebane (provided we resign him) but we could use another pass rusher on the other side.

Reaction score
Having a superstar WR like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald when your team has a ton of holes everywhere else doesn't do you any good... just look at how their respective teams did this year.

Now if you throw one of those guys on a solid team, then he's going to tear shit up all day. We are not a solid team right now. We need to focus on the line, especially O line.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
seakwak;55622 said:
Why do you assume that a quality WR can only be taken in the top 5-10 picks? Obviously Calvin Johnson was, but there are plenty of examples (that I don't need to list) of great WRs that were taken later in the first round and later in the entire draft for that matter. I'm not saying that we should grab a WR at 25 just for the sake of having one, but we should at least pick up one along the way. I agree that CB is definitely a pretty pressing issue, but I'm hoping we can pick up a guy like Grimes or Joseph in FA. DL is pretty solid with Clemons and Mebane (provided we resign him) but we could use another pass rusher on the other side.
Im not assuming you can only get quality WR's with a top 10 pick. Based upon what scouts are saying, there is only 1 WR with the type of talent of someone like CJ....that is AJ Green who will be gone long before we pick. Guys like that don't come around every year, and to use a 1st round pick on a WR this year with pick 25 when there isn't really any mind blowing options available there would not be very smart in my opinion. If it were last year and we were in this position with a chance at a guy like Dez Bryant with our pick, that is a completely different story. In this years draft, it is just as likely to find a WR in a later round rather than using our first round pick on one when we have much bigger needs.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
At #25 it should be a mix of take best player off your board, AND for the hawks, one that fills a position of need, which would be: DL/OL/QB/CB

WR/TE/FB/K/P are for later rounds typically.

OP
EricOV
Reaction score
If Julio Jones is there at 25 and a great talent at one of our more pressing needs isnt available.... I would love it if we drafted him.

Call it Blasphemy but I like Jones more then A.J. Green.

Dont get me wrong Green is amazing. but Jones is so damn powerful he a Physical WR which i like.

S

Seattlehawk94

#ONE;55623 said:
Having a superstar WR like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald when your team has a ton of holes everywhere else doesn't do you any good... just look at how their respective teams did this year.

Now if you throw one of those guys on a solid team, then he's going to tear shit up all day. We are not a solid team right now. We need to focus on the line, especially O line.

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, AMEN...

Like I said....Pouncey=1,500 BeastQuakes..

S

Seattlehawk94

HAHA....Yeah, Beastquakes part of a complete breakfast! Therrrrrreeeee Grrrrreat!

Reaction score
If they're smart, they will re-sign Mebane so they don't have to use one of their early picks on a DT. That will allow them to focus on OL, QB and CB.

Top Bottom