• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thursday in Hawkville

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A recap of the day’s activities at Virginia Mason Athletic Center for Oct. 6:
FOCUS ON
Turnovers. It is “Turnover Thursday” on the Pete Carroll calendar, but the Seahawks are putting an even greater emphasis on the game-changing plays this week.
Having only two turnovers in four games will do that. So will playing the New York Giants in the Meadowlands this Sunday. The Giants have forced eight turnovers, which ties for the fifth-highest total in the league. The Seahawks’ total of two? That ties them for second fewest.
“Believe me, we’re doing studies,” defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said after today’s 105-minute practice. “We’re looking at teams four games into the season and saying, ‘OK, are teams that are pressuring more, are they getting more turnovers? Are the teams that are playing zone coverage more, are they getting more turnovers?’
“You would think that the teams that are pressuring more are getting turnovers. But that’s not the case. … There’s some that are doing a real good job getting the ball playing zone coverages. We’ve been bringing quite a bit of pressure, hoping that that gets it. We’ve just got to mix it up more. Get our eyes on the ball. Mix it up. Not go completely to zone, but just enough that are guys have chances to break on the ball.”
Both the Seahawks’ turnovers have been interceptions – and both came in their only victory over the Arizona Cardinals two weeks ago.
The league leaders in turnovers also are among the team’s with the best records: Baltimore Ravens (3-1), 14 turnovers; Detroit Lions (4-0), Green Bay Packers (4-0), San Francisco 49ers (3-1) and Buffalo Bills (3-1), 11 each.
PLAYER WATCH
David Vobora. The versatile linebacker is back after being released on Sept. 4. He was re-signed on Tuesday to help fill the void on special teams that was created after linebacker Matt McCoy went on injured reserve because he needs a surgical procedure to repair a sprained knee.
Vobora, who grew up in Lebanon, Ore., and played at the University of Idaho, spent the past month working out – just in case a team called.
“I just tried to stay patient and continue to work and grind,” Vobora said. “Even yesterday at practice, I felt better even after being out of it for a month than I did probably when I came here in training camp.”
Vobora split his time between Seattle (for the first week) and packing up his belongings in St. Louis, where he played his first three seasons in the NFL. He also made a trip to Houston for a workout with the Texans.
In addition to his special teams duties, Vobora also is working as the backup to Leroy Hill at weakside linebacker.
OPPONENT WATCH
Eli Manning. The most impressive aspect of his game during the first month of the season is the fact that the Giants’ QB has thrown two interceptions – after being picked off a career-high 25 times last season.
The big difference? “Eli can probably give the lecture better than I can now,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said.
The lecture? “You have to be aggressive, but on the other hand you have to be really, really smart and you have to be very careful with the ball,” Coughlin said.
Offered Manning: “I’m just trying to make smarter decisions. Trying to throw the ball accurately, put it in the right locations and concentrate on being confident in my throws when I make them and not putting them into crowded areas. So I’m just trying to continue to do that.”
IN ’N OUT
Tight end Zach Miller returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday to rest a sore knee. Also back was defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove, who missed Wednesday because of a sore hamstring. But Hargrove gave it a good workout by breaking into a dance to the music that is played during the pre-practice stretching. His moves had some teammates applauding, and others laughing.
Back on a limited basis was strong safety Kam Chancellor, who missed last week’s game with a deep thigh bruise. But Atari Bigby continued to get most of the snaps with the No. 1 defense.
Cornerback Marcus Trufant sat out to rest a sore back. He was replaced on the left side by Walter Thurmond in the base defense and Richard Smith in the nickel, because Thurmond slides inside to cover the slot receiver.
Out for the second consecutive day were wide receiver Mike Williams (concussion) and linebacker Malcolm Smith (hamstring).
For the Giants, cornerback Prince Amukamara (foot), center David Baas (neck) and running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) did not practice again. Linebacker Michael Boley (knee) and defensive end Justin Tuck (groin, neck) were limited after sitting out Wednesday, while defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (ribs) and defensive end Osi Umenyiora (knee) were limited for the second time this week.
STAT DU JOUR
The Meadowlands has been the Land of the Lost for the Seahawks in previous trips to East Rutherford, N.J., where the Giants and Jets share a stadium. The Seahawks were a combined 1-11 against those teams at Giants Stadium, which is now MetLife Stadium. Here’s a closer look at those games:
Year, opponent Outcome, score
1976, Giants L, 28-16
1983, Giants W, 17-12
1985, Jets L, 17-14
1987, Jets L, 30-14
1989, Giants L, 15-3
1992, Giants L, 23-10
1998, Jets L, 32-31
2000, Jets L, 19-9
2001, Giants L, 27-24
2002, Giants L, 9-6
2004, Jets L, 37-14
2008, Giants L, 44-6
UP NEXT
The players will practice on Friday, starting at 11:30 a.m., before the team flies to New Jersey for Sunday’s game.
YOU DON’T SAY
“I really didn’t even think about it because we lost. It was kind of hard to think about individual stats, especially when you lose a game that close and with the great effort that we had to come back at the end of the game. It would have been a lot sweeter if we would have gotten the win.” – QB Tarvaris Jackson, when asked if he felt last week’s career-high 319-yard, three-touchdown performance against the Falcons was his best game

b.gif
i0JKlQbzkkM

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom