• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hasselbeck cut by Titans

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Tennessee Titans are moving on from quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.
Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean reported Monday that the Titans have informed Hasselbeck he's being released, according to sources.
The Titans later confirmed the move with a statement.
Free-agent tracker
0ap1000000151257.jpg
Where will Brent Grimes wind up? Follow him and all the other NFL players on the move in our free-agent tracker. More...
"I want to thank Matt for his contributions to our team over the last two years," Titans general manager Ruston Webster said. "He was an important part of the transition process -- he was a pro at every turn and he provided an example to the rest of the team. I know that we are a better team for his being here and we wish him the best."
Jake Locker, whom Hasselbeck took under his tutelage, told The Tennessean he was "sad to see Matt go." "I understand the business side of the game and am thankful for what he has taught me," Locker said. "He is a great football player and even better person and I wish him nothing but the best."
Hasselbeck, 37, was brought aboard in 2011 to help the transition process to Jake Locker, the eighth overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Hasselbeck had one year and $5.5 million remaining on his contract. He was open to the Titans' wish to reduce his salary, but no progress was made in negotiations.
Locker replaced Hasselbeck as starter last season, but Locker's injury issues will likely spur Tennessee to find an experienced backup quarterback. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Kevin Kolb are two logical options.
As for Hasselbeck, he'll likely catch on elsewhere in a similar role that he had in his final season with the Titans. He won't sniff the money he was scheduled to earn before the Titans swung the axe

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
By MyNorthwest.com
Staff report

After being released from the Titans on Monday, former Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck has found a new home. (AP Photo/file)
zoom
After being released by the Tennessee Titans on Monday, former Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck has found a new home.
Hasselbeck signed with the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday, where he will backup starting quarterback Andrew Luck, according to an ESPN report. Hasselbeck, 37, was released by the Titans because his contract would have accounted for $7.5 million against the 2013 salary cap.
The Titans already have former University of Washington star Jake Locker as their starting quarterback. They spent the eighth selection overall in the 2011 draft on Locker and tabbed him as the starter before the 2012 season began.
Hasselbeck spent the past two seasons with Tennessee, leading the Titans to a 9-7 record and just missing the playoffs in coach Mike Munchak's debut season coming off the NFL lockout in 2011. Hasselbeck threw for 3,571 yards, the fourth-best passing season in the team's history and the third highest of his career.
The Titans have reportedly agreed to a two-year deal with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the former Buffalo Bills quarterback, to serve as backup for Jake Locker.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
The QB carousel goes round and round, round and round, round and round....
I would have liked him back here, but looks like the colts nabbed him up.

Top Bottom