• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Camp Carroll: Day 5 (a.m. edition)

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A recap of the morning practice at Seahawks’ training camp on Monday:
FOCUS ON
Jameson Konz. When the Seahawks selected him in the seventh-round of the NFL Draft last year, general manager John Schneider gushed about Konz’s versatility.
This morning, Konz flaunted it by switching from tight end to rush-end because the defense was running low on linemen.
“I had no idea (I’d be playing over there),” Konz said, wearing his No. 46 on a white defensive jersey rather than a blue offensive jersey. “They didn’t necessarily move me (fulltime), but I know we have a few guys banged up. So I was happy to help out.”
Konz got by with a little help from a friend – “Leo” end Chris Clemons, who was tutoring Konz right up to the ball being snapped.
“Clemons was doing a great job telling me where to lineup and what to do,” Konz said. “It wasn’t too bad; I just kind of jumped in and went with the flow.”
Konz got pressure on the passer on one snap, slammed into tight end Dominique Byrd on another to force the running back to cut back inside and was all over a pitch to Leon Washington on yet another.
“Hopefully we can take another look at him,” new D-line coach Todd Wash said. “If you can rush, you’ve got some ability. Let’s see what he’s got. Maybe he can rush the passer. I know it will help me out if he can.”
For the record, Konz did play some rush-end on passing downs at Kent State – where he also lined up tight end, H-back, wide receiver and outside linebacker.
PLAYER WATCH
Ryan Sims. Another day, another new player, as the team signed the former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive linemen. Sims played for the Bucs the past four seasons after spending his first five seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, who made him the sixth pick overall in the 2002 draft.
The 6-foot-4, 315-pound Sims played for Wash, who was the Bucs’ D-line coach the past three seasons. Sims was released after six games last season because he was injured.
“Ryan has lost a lot of weight and made a real commitment to get back in the game,” Wash said. “So we’re excited about having Ryan and getting him in here to compete.”
That won’t happen until Thursday, however, when Sims will practice for the first time – along with the other free agents the team has signed the past week.
Like many of the Seahawks’ D-linemen, Sims has the size to play tackle, but the versatility to slide outside to the five-technique end spot.
PLAYS OF THE DAY
Offense: The “oooh” play for the 301 fans who attended practice was wide receiver Dominique Edison getting behind cornerback Kennard Cox to make a falling grab in the end zone. But the more-significant effort was running back Marshawn Lynch taking a short pass from Charlie Whitehurst and then juking around rookie linebacker Malcolm Smith with a move as smooth as it was powerful to turn the play into a longer gain.
Defense: Sunday, David Hawthorne stepped into the role of starting middle linebacker after Lofa Tatupu was released. This morning, the player they call “Heater” stepped into the hole to thump Lynch on the first play of the first full-team period.
Special teams: This one came early, as the kickoff returners were getting ready to field kicks before the full practice started. Coach Pete Carroll not only took the first one, he one-handed it to show “how easy” it is. Then, Leon Washington let the very next one slip through his hands, allowing Carroll to give him some good-natured ribbing.
THIS ’N THAT
Defensive linemen Dexter Davis, Kentwan Balmer and Jarrett Crittenton sat out practice with unspecified injuries. … Still sidelined: cornerbacks Walter Thurmond (ankle) and Roy Lewis (knee), wide receivers Mike Williams (muscle strain) and Deon Butler (leg), tight end Cameron Morrah (toe) and defensive tackle Colin Cole (ankle). … Defensive tackle Ladi Ajiboye has switched from No. 97 to No. 65.
UP NEXT
The players will have a walk-thru in the indoor practice facility at Virginia Mason Athletic this afternoon. Tomorrow, there is a morning walk-thru and a 1:30 practice, which is open to the public. You can register to attend here.
YOU DON’T SAY
“There is no question. No question about that. There were other guys out there, but if you could just draw it and say, ‘I want a guy,’ it would be that guy. And it happened, we got him.” – offensive line coach Tom Cable on landing left guard Robert Gallery in free agent to add to a young starting unit that also includes Russell Okung at left tackle, Max Unger at center and the rookie tandem of guard John Moffitt and tackle James Carpenter on the right side.

b.gif
k9awFVVSSY4

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom