• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2009 Seahawks Preview

Reaction score
Here is something I have been working hard at the past three weeks. I answered a few questions I thought of (had opened it up to you, but had no one ask any about the upcoming 2009 Seahawk Season) so I thought of a few myself. Hope you enjoy it and them and fire back with feedback please! You guys don't understand how much that helps me. I want to go into this field and need as much feedback as I can get... both positive and negative. You need to have a strong spine when working with athletes so please help me out! Thanks:

The Seahawks have wrapped up their final mini-camps and will now await for Training Camp to kick-off. They will enter their first season since 1998 in which Mike Holmgren isn’t calling the shots. They also didn’t make the playoffs or win the NFC West for the first time in many years. With age and injuries catching up to Matt Hasselbeck and Walter Jones many questions are being asked. Until then there are several questions that soar through Seattle. Here are a few questions that will be asked throughout that time:
1- How healthy will Matt Hasselbeck be?
This maybe the one thing that will decide the Seahawks season. It’s been proven that Hasselbeck’s best seasons come on odd years. As strange as it is it’s true. He led Seattle to the Super Bowl in 2005 2006 was a so-so season and 2007 was a career year for him. After his injuries in 2008 it would only make sense for him to rebound and make 2007 look like a so-so season compared to his 2009 season, but he is two years older and has no true running game.
2- How will Jim Mora handle his second chance as an NFL Head Coach?
He knows what it takes to succeed. He did a fine job in Atlanta with a quarterback not even close to Matt Hasselbeck’s talent. Mora appears to be a more player-coach than Holmgren was and that might help with the veterans. The veterans might need a coach who won’t go too hard on them in training camp and Mora appears to be that guy. He seems loose and not too demanding at practices. Mora also runs a West Coast Offense meaning Hasselbeck won’t have to learn an entire new offense.
3- Do the Seahawks have the best line backing core with Lofa Tatupu, Leroy Hill and Aaron Curry?
If Lofa returns to his form after a somewhat disappointing 2008 season (still led the team in tackles, but didn’t make the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career) and Hill plays a full season the Seahawks might have one of the best cores in the NFL. Aaron Curry still hasn’t played a game in the NFL, but was the best class of 2009 defensive player in the draft. Curry’s impact might be felt just by the presence he makes. Like Julian Peterson and Tatupu would do they took pressure off of Hill and allowed him to get to the quarterback or ball easier. That’s something that will be needed for the core to succeed. Their youth is working on their side, but they still need a lot of work to be considered one of the best
4- Will the Seahawks take the crown back from Arizona?
If the Seahawks stay healthy and Hasselbeck follows his odd-number year success there is no reason they shouldn’t return to the top. Hasselbeck has a new weapon in Houshmandzadeh and will be able to play a healthy season with John Carlson. The defense won’t have to worry about being on the field so long and might will also be helped out with the addition of Aaron Curry.
5- One weakness that scares Seahawk fans:
I would have to say their running game. Since Shaun Alexander’s career year in 2005 the running game has been nothing spectacular, but still has potential. With the departure of Maurice Morris the Seahawks will most likely have three running backs with only two years of experience in Seattle, but one of them has more experience with Jim Mora and Greg Knapp’s offensive scheme. Julius Jones is a question mark himself. He showed the first couple of weeks in 2008 that he had potential, but then when Mike Holmgren took him out for Mo Mo it appeared he lost a step. One thing Jones has never had in a while is trust from coaching staff. In Dallas after his 1,000 yard season they quickly jumped ship for Marion Barber. In Seattle a promise made by Holmgren to Mo Mo interrupted his starting job, but now it’s his job and his job only. If he loses it he has no one to blame, but himself. With a healthy line and Hasselbeck look for him to have a career year. Also with the help of a new blocking tight end in John Owens Jones might be able to have a break out year in Seattle.
6- What makes them still a force?
Experience and playing in a weak NFC West. Hasselbeck has played in every playoff type game. The NFC Conference game and the Super Bowl. Walter Jones has been protecting his left side since Hasselbeck came over from Green Bay and been a Seahawk since 1997. Jim Mora won games with Michael Vick who is definitely not a better QB than Hasselbeck. The defense is still fairly young and will still put pressure on QB’s like they used to. Seattle has the greatest home-field advantage and that only makes them better.
7- A player that is needed to play his top game in order for success:
Lofa Tatupu- after a disappointing 2008 season he returns healthy and with the addition of Curry should be able to roam around allowing Hill to get to the QB and either pick-up a sack or force something. When Lofa makes the Pro Bowl the Seahawks make the playoffs and that should repeat itself for the fourth time in his NFL career.
8- Breakout player of this years team:
Julius Jones I still think he has the potential of being a Pro Bowler. If the line stays healthy and the passing game should return with Hasselbeck allowing the running game to open up again. Jones started to breakout in 2008, but Holmgren quickly went back to Mo Mo and finished the season off with him. Given the confidence from Mora and staff it looks like Jones is the guy they trust and want.
9- Will the TJ Houshmandzadeh/Matt Hasselbeck combo be worthy of Pro Bowl:
I think if Hasselbeck stays healthy the addition of Houshmandzadeh maybe the best free agent signing in the NFL. For really the first time in Hasselbeck’s career with Seattle he will have a top threat at WR. If he can produce like he did with Darrell Jackson why shouldn’t he do better with Houshmandzadeh?
10- Overall Predication on the Seahawks 2009 Season:
Seattle can figure to win at least 6 games at home if not more. Given they only have one trip to an Easten Coast Time Zone team (Indianapolis) they should win at least two on the road and playing in a weak NFC West could win in St. Louis and San Francisco. With that having about nine wins and seeing the Cardinals went 9-7 I could see Seattle going 10-6 winning the West. Anything better would be a surprise. If they get a home game and a nice draw against a team on the road in second-round could make a similar run like the Cardinals did.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Nice post.

I gotta say this though, I think its alittle weak to keep pluggin the superstition/odd year thing. (not just you 96). Lets be real here, If matt stays healthy its because he trained hard, got expert therapy, doesnt take big shots, gets some protection, and gets lucky. Then he has a complete season.
Its like the guy that gets in the inzone and thanks god for his TD. God dont give a rip if you make a TD, god gave you life to be thankful for (to get somewhat religous here), your legs and athletic ability got you that touchdown.
But good post, like the insight. :)

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Thanks szat. Yeah I do hit that superstition a little too much, but then again with sports I'm superstitous so it shows.

Top Bottom