• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

To hot to handle

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Terrible performace across the board with the exception of Russ. Marshawn was a non-factor, defense was gassed, penalties (especially stupid ones) killed anything, and of course we weren't prepared for the weather.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Can't really fault Marshawn for being a non-factor when the Bolts had the ball the whole game. But Rivers was playing out of his mind. If he plays like that all season the Bolts are gonna be trouble.
Even so, after all that the Hawks had two opportunities in the 4th quarter to pull it out and couldn't get it done.

Not worried too much about that game. The Bolts are a good team and they have a shot at winning the AFC this year. Sometimes you take it on the chin and move on. But if we see more of the same next Sunday against Denver, then I'll be worried. The Hawks will bounce back, they always do.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Terrible performace across the board with the exception of Russ. Marshawn was a non-factor, defense was gassed, penalties (especially stupid ones) killed anything, and of course we weren't prepared for the weather.

That terrible San Diego weather?:cautious:

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Or the no huddle offense limiting substitutions on the Seahawks defense.:whistling:

Idahawk

Reaction score
110 plus on the field , the defense was gassed and not prepared for that at all, couldn't get a hit on Rivers despite being so close so many times .Gates is the one who was out of his mind , Rivers threw up jump balls and gates made circus catches all day . Hawks will be good and Salty for the Broncos at home .....

This game reminded me of going down to Jacksonville a few years back when it has 100 plus degrees and humid. Maybe we should have went to San Diego a couple days ahead of time to acclimate ?

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Both teams played in the heat. Time of possession killed the Seahawks, especially the defense. Get ready for a steady diet of no huddle offense against your defense. OCs adapt fast.;)

Hawkstar

Huddler
Reaction score
I have a couple questions:
1. Why do home teams have the option of wearing their away jerseys?
2. Doesn't it count as taking an unfair advantage by making the visitors wear their dark home colors in heat like that? (Could have been the Bears, Vikings, Bengals, Browns, etc.) To counter any argument on crowd noise, that's the crowd being noisy, not a conscious decision on the part of the team to wear their white away jerseys when home.

I've always found it irritating, regardless of the weather, when home teams don't wear their home colors (a minor pet peeve, really), but there was only one reason for San Diego to not wear their powder blues (which wouldn't have been nearly as hot as Seattle's colors) and that is to over-heat the opposing players quicker. Yes, I realize that both teams are on a field where the temperature was over 100 degrees, but it may have given the Chargers just the edge they needed. Please, don't take this as whining, just really curious why this is ok.

Besides, I'm actually glad they lost the game. Now no one can say the only won because of Harvin's out-of-bounds touchdown. I don't need another year (or two) of "Fail Mary" kind of talk.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
2. Doesn't it count as taking an unfair advantage by making the visitors wear their dark home colors in heat like that? (Could have been the Bears, Vikings, Bengals, Browns, etc.) To counter any argument on crowd noise, that's the crowd being noisy, not a conscious decision on the part of the team to wear their white away jerseys when home.

I've always found it irritating, regardless of the weather, when home teams don't wear their home colors (a minor pet peeve, really), but there was only one reason for San Diego to not wear their powder blues (which wouldn't have been nearly as hot as Seattle's colors) and that is to over-heat the opposing players quicker. Yes, I realize that both teams are on a field where the temperature was over 100 degrees, but it may have given the Chargers just the edge they needed. Please, don't take this as whining, just really curious why this is ok.

Besides, I'm actually glad they lost the game. Now no one can say the only won because of Harvin's out-of-bounds touchdown. I don't need another year (or two) of "Fail Mary" kind of talk.

Dark colors do nothing for heat on the field. Only in bright sunlight will dark colors absorb enough solar energy to possibly make a difference, albeit small difference. Small distinction to be sure but is nonetheless true. Chargers were more acclimated to the heat and used a game plan to force the Seahawks defense to play longer in it.

Home teams do various things to the field or stadium environment to gain an advantage. Seahawks designed their stadium to maximize crowd noise on the field. Teams have been known to heavily water the field before playing against pass oriented offenses, etc.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Don't care about a steady diet of no huddle , that's been tried before. Triple digit heat and 80% humidity was the problem , way better for the home team . Today it's only 80 there , go figure . I hope the Broncos think like Rammy and bring that no huddle to our house !

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Don't care about a steady diet of no huddle , that's been tried before. Triple digit heat and 80% humidity was the problem , way better for the home team . Today it's only 80 there , go figure . I hope the Broncos think like Rammy and bring that no huddle to our house !

Oh you'll see it.:tup:

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
This game better serve as the wake up call they needed. Im just glad the Saints and 49ers lost as well. It's early but them winning could've hurt us long term.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
110 plus on the field , the defense was gassed and not prepared for that at all, couldn't get a hit on Rivers despite being so close so many times .Gates is the one who was out of his mind , Rivers threw up jump balls and gates made circus catches all day . Hawks will be good and Salty for the Broncos at home .....

This game reminded me of going down to Jacksonville a few years back when it has 100 plus degrees and humid. Maybe we should have went to San Diego a couple days ahead of time to acclimate ?
Jump balls huh? That last TD, which turned out to be the game winner, you'd call that one a jump ball? Gates made a great catch but Rivers made a great throw too. He put it where only Gates could catch it and was out of reach of any Hawk defenders. I wouldn't sell Rivers short on that game. It wasn't just Gates he was hitting. He was hitting Royal, Woodhead, Keenan, everyone. Scrambling for first downs too. His throws to Gates was only part of the story. The 3rd down conversions are what kept the ball away from the Hawks and was ultimately what beat them. And the timing of Percy's KR fumble just solidified the ToP dominance for the Chargers.

Last edited:

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score

The Chargers have been wearing their white jerseys at home for years. They don't do it all the time anymore but they still do it, not just the game yesterday. And back in the Air Coryell days their white jerseys were their "home" jerseys. They wore them every game, just like Dallas. Several teams have done it: the Cowboys, Chargers, Redskins, Dolphins to name a few but Dallas started the trend back in the 60s or 70s.
You do bring up a valid point though because the Bolts don't do it all the time anymore and the heat probably did have something to do with why they wore them yesterday.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I stand corrected 120 on the field .....good grief

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
A prayer that just happened to be perfectly placed. I would have considered it a fluke had it not been for how he was playing the whole game.
Rivers is a streaky QB. Consistency's always been an issue with him but when he's in the zone like that, you better bring it or he'll torch you. Just ask Wilson or Pete. SD's for real. They beat the Broncos in Denver and they won decisively on the road in the playoffs against a division winner last year. And when you boil it all down, the Seahawks were probably outcoached too. They lost the X's and O's, the Chargers were the aggressors, Rivers had a lot of open targets and they put a lot of pressure points on the Hawks' defense. They also decisively won the line of scrimmage battle on both sides of the ball. That's not anything new: it happened a couple times last year too.
Sometimes it happens, especially on the road. But that's how the Hawks have to see that game for what it was, if they want to bounce back next week against Denver, which they will.

The Chargers weren't bulletproof yesterday considering the Seahawks even after the way the game went had two shots in the closing minutes to win the game. But I was asking myself if there was any team in the league who could have beaten the Chargers yesterday. I can't really think of anyone, can you?

Last edited:

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
The Chargers have been wearing their white jerseys at home for years. They don't do it all the time anymore but they still do it, not just the game yesterday. And back in the Air Coryell days their white jerseys were their "home" jerseys. They wore them every game, just like Dallas. Several teams have done it: the Cowboys, Chargers, Redskins, Dolphins to name a few but Dallas started the trend back in the 60s or 70s.
You do bring up a valid point though because the Bolts don't do it all the time anymore and the heat probably did have something to do with why they wore them yesterday.

The Bidwill Cardinals were doing that long before the Cowboys existed I think. Goes back to the Chicago days.

Top Bottom