• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sunday's Game= Walter Jones Honor

Reaction score
When the Seahawks play the Panthers Sunday it won't just be a normal Seahawk game. The Seahawks will officially retire the #71 jersey and welcome Walter Jones into the Ring of Honor.
The decision was first announced on Jone's twitter and his since been confirmed by the Seahawks website.

Reaction score
I'm hoping they show it on TV, but FOX will probably want to show a few commercials instead.

Reaction score
They don't get paid for showing ring of honor inductions... They'll probably show a short like 15 second clip while dick stockton finds a way to fuck up pronoucing walter jones.

S

Seattlehawk94

Who else is going? PM me....Going to tailgate up this mofo!!!!!!

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Love honoring Walter hate the half ass way they are doing it

I love the fact that big Walter Jones is getting honored and deservely so. My main deal with this is how they are going about it.

First of all, Walter Jones jersey and ring of honor should have happened on a beautiful September game on opening week not some middle of the season game against some shitty ass team the day after the Apple Cup.

Second of all, Walter should have a ceremony before the game or at halftime to do this at the two minute warning is the dumbest idea I've ever heard in my life.

Third of all, as a fan of Seattle sports I'm not at all surprised one bit. I love the passionate fans but this city has a ton of fucking morons. Who honors players in the middle of games like this? So will the Mariners retire Griffey's jersey during the 7th inning stretch?!

Way to go Seattle you botched another one you stupid assholes!

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
What do you want? A parade down 1st Avenue? Maybe you should understand why they are doing it the way the are before you go on a tirade. Maybe this way Fox will televise it whereas if it were pregame or during halftime Fox would not have. Maybe they already had events scheduled by the time Jones decided to retire. Any number of things...

This isn't his induction into the HOF or even the Ring of Honor. It is just the unveiling of number 71 hanging in the rafters with number 12 and number 80.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah I didnt see any issue with timing except for if it was at the end of half, the crowd would be pretty pumped off at 2nd half kickoff. Im just feel lucky that I'll be there to witness it. Im sure they will show an abbreviated unvieling if not the whole thing.

Will Big Walt be raising the flag too I hope? Ive noticed he's been on the sidelines at home games, anyone else seen him?

I bet Okung will play inpired this week....

Reaction score
Big Walt said he would raise the flag at the first home playoff game this season, but I think he said that when the Hawks were 4-2.

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
As far as timing, not sure why it is during the game... maybe just so all the players are there with him? Just glad it is getting done. Jones definitely deserves to be there. He also deserves to eat on Alexander's dime whever possible. I'm saving my passion for 4 years from now (this year counts as 1 of 5 right?) when he becomes the second Seahawk nominated for the hall. Hopefully he can sneak in with Dave Krieg too.

Reaction score
twelvewins;52007 said:
As far as timing, not sure why it is during the game... maybe just so all the players are there with him? Just glad it is getting done. Jones definitely deserves to be there. He also deserves to eat on Alexander's dime whever possible. I'm saving my passion for 4 years from now (this year counts as 1 of 5 right?) when he becomes the second Seahawk nominated for the hall. Hopefully he can sneak in with Dave Krieg too.
So the fans can watch.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Remember the timing as odd as it is might have to do with Walter's preference. Remember the guy is a shy guy (didn't want a retirement PC) maybe he's thinking with it being the 2 min. warning a lot of "fans" (which I think won't be the case this Sunday) will get up to beat the concession stand lines and that he won't have to be in front of so many. This also will prevent him from giving a speech most likely. So the timing of the event during the 2 min. warning might have been his preference.

As for the game choice... remember the last time we played the Panthers in Seattle? I think all true 12th Man remember the importance of that game and a familiar #71 doing his thing.

Reaction score
That's a great point 96... I didn't think about that aspect of it. The greatest game in Seahawks history was at home against the panthers.

S

Seattlehawk94

I just don't get how he's not going into the ROH as well....Kinda stupid retiring a jersey and not giving him the "lower" honor of putting his name on the wall in the ROH..

Are they planning to have another ceremony in a couple of years for that as well?? Would be anti-climactic..

S

Seattlehawk94

They go by retirement date to see if the player "stands the test of time" and they have a list of people they want to put in....What get's me is why don't they start working their way down the list....One a season, what the hell are they waiting for?

Then again, it took forever to add Easley and Dave Krieg so....

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I would think you'd want to be pretty selective. Otherwise it dilutes the honor. That said, we all know no one will live up to Jones, so it should be automatic.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Are you surprised?

Seattlehawk94;52019 said:
I just don't get how he's not going into the ROH as well....Kinda stupid retiring a jersey and not giving him the "lower" honor of putting his name on the wall in the ROH..

Are they planning to have another ceremony in a couple of years for that as well?? Would be anti-climactic..

Seattle sports is ran by morons. Largent they did a ring of honor, then a separate retiring of his jersey. This should have been done before the game or at halftime. Retire the jersey, ring of honor, speech, etc. That is what every other franchise does.

Two minute drill is so lame.

Top Bottom