• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

seattles place in history

Idahawk

Reaction score
SEATTLE'S PLACE IN HISTORY
How the Seahawks defense compares to selected NFL-best scoring defenses in relation to the No. 2 scoring defense and league average during those seasons:

Year/Team PPG No.2 PPG Avg. PPG
'14 Seahawks 15.9 17.6 22.6
'13 Seahawks* 14.4 15.1 23.4
'08 Steelers* 13.9 14.6 22.0
'02 Buccaneers* 12.3 15.1 21.7
'00 Ravens* 10.3 11.9 20.7
'85 Bears* 12.4 16.4 21.5
'77 Falcons 9.2^ 10.4 17.1
'76 Steelers 9.9 12.6 19.2
'75 Rams 9.6 11.6 20.6
'71 Vikings 9.9 10.0 19.3
*Won Super Bowl ^NFL record
Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Wow the '77 Falcons gave up fewer points than any defense on the list. How come nobody ever talks about that defense? I looked up the roster and there's not a single player on there who I've ever heard of before. The star of that defense based on the stats given was LCB Rolland Lawrence who had 7 picks and 3 FF. No stats given on tackles or sacks.
The Seahawks have led the league for 3 years in a row now in fewest yards allowed, which is only the 3rd time in NFL history that's ever happened, including the Vikings from I think '69-71 and the Browns from back in the early fifties. People are running out of reasons to not include the Seahawks among the all time greatest defenses. People like to say, "they haven't been around long enough to be considered among the greatest." Well, I like to call BS on that. Most of the greatest defenses of all time are referenced by specific seasons. When you refer to that great Bears D under Ditka and Buddy Ryan you don't refer to them as the "Bears defense of the 80s." You refer to them specifically as the '85 Bears. Same with the '00 Ravens, or the '02 Bucs. Some think the '85 Bears were the greatest defense in NFL history. We're talking about one specific season. The only defense I can think of in which multiple seasons were involved was the Steel Curtain. But even they had a specific season that stood out and that was '76. That team had something like 6 shutouts over the final 9 games of the season. Also when you think of that defense the first names that usually come to mind are Jack Lambert and Joe Greene but it's Jack Ham who's considered by many as the greatest LB in NFL history, even over Lawrence Taylor. Elite speed, power, instincts and coverage skills. JH could do it all.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Wow the '77 Falcons gave up fewer points than any defense on the list.

That was the last 14 game season which is why season records (usually high) are frequently meaningless these days. More opportunities for playoff games too.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Records should actually mean more when a 16 game season is involved. Like going unbeaten in a 16 game season is more significant than doing it in a 14 game season.
Something like the fewest yards allowed or ppg would mean pretty much the same thing involving either a 14 game season or 16. The only thing the Seahawks fall short in is points allowed per game. In a pass-happy league with a hands off rulebook these days it's understandable.

Last edited:

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Records should actually mean more when a 16 game season is involved. Like going unbeaten in a 16 game season is more significant than doing it in a 14 game season.
Something like the fewest yards allowed or ppg would mean pretty much the same thing involving either a 14 game season or 16. The only thing the Seahawks fall short in is points allowed per game. In a pass-happy league with a hands off rulebook these days it's understandable.

Is it more impressive to rush for 2000 yards in a 14 or 16 game season? Is passing for 3000 yards more impressive in a 14 or 16 game season? 14 game season had virtually no protection for the QB nor preference for the passing game.;)

My point is Atlanta's record you mentioned was in a 14 game season and that is a substantial difference. And in a game very different than todays. If you want to overlook the differences then take the first 14 games of the 16 game season for those other teams but that is never done it seems outside individual team records at the local level.

It is a glaring weakness displayed incorrectly in the media all the time and drives me nuts every time it happens. Really old analysts will give the caveat (some I remember bringing up the days before the forward pass:eek:) and it should be a point of professionalism for analysts to frame a topic in the proper context. If I was emperor…….

Last edited:

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Is it more impressive to rush for 2000 yards in a 14 or 16 game season? Is passing for 3000 yards more impressive in a 14 or 16 game season? 14 game season had virtually no protection for the QB nor preference for the passing game.;)

My point is Atlanta's record you mentioned was in a 14 game season and that is a substantial difference. And in a game very different than todays. If you want to overlook the differences then take the first 14 games of the 16 game season for those other teams but that is never done it seems outside individual team records at the local level.

It is a glaring weakness displayed incorrectly in the media all the time and drives me nuts every time it happens. Really old analysts will give the caveat (some I remember bringing up the days before the forward pass:eek:) and it should be a point of professionalism for analysts to frame a topic in the proper context. If I was emperor…….
I still don't see what your point is because what stood out concerning the '77 Falcons was the 9.2 points allowed per game average which makes the length of the schedule irrelevant. What is impressive about it is that it was done in the same era as the '76 Steelers average of 9.6 points per game (which everyone talks about) which happened only a year before and the Falcons' scoring D therefore was actually better than the '76 Steelers as far as the average goes (a defense that no one talks about). The 9.2 average doesn't change based on total number of games. If we're talking about a cumulative stat, like total points overall, rather than an average stat, like points per game, then I could see your point.

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
I think he means you have more games to be exposed, suffer key injuries, fly to England, get hosed by refs, etc. While the numbers would normally be comparable as averages, they are averages in differing conditions.
Not apples to oranges but certainly Granny Smiths to Galas.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Well also if you look back on the 70's, offenses were not near as proficient as they are now.
The PPG league average shows that. Back then it was more smash mouth, QB's were not protected (nor recievers), it was pre-bill walsh. Lots of reasons contributing to that. Still your right, no one talks about the 77 falcons, first ive ever heard them mentioned!

I think what is very impressive is that the hawks have been #1 for the 3 years now!! And next year I actually see them being stronger, especially if we can find a way to sign Wags and/or Maxwell. This Defense is still young, has not peaked! I think next year is their peak year, then they may start to decline depending on incoming youth.

Top Bottom