• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rob Sims out?

Reaction score
from nbcsports.com:

Rob Sims will be the next to go in Seattle

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2010 9:45 PM ET

The same source who tipped us off to the fact that Seahawks defensive end Darryl Tapp was being traded out of Seattle has given us another tip.

The next one to go is guard Rob Sims.

And this time we're beating Glazer to the punch.

Sims, a restricted free agent, is drawing strong interest from multiple teams. One of the teams is believed to be the Browns, who are now run by former Seattle coach Mike Holmgren.

Like Tapp, Sims is being held out of offseason workouts in anticipation of a deal. Unlike Tapp, Sims has not yet signed his RFA tender, and talks have not commenced with any specific team on a multi-year deal.

Sims has been tendered by the Seahawks at the fourth-round level. A four-year veteran, Sims started 14 games for Seattle in 2009.

So stay tuned. Something could happen soon; something apparently will happen at some point before the draft.

Hawk30

Huddler
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the new guys runnin the show have really big plans for us. They're gettin rid of a lot of guys, looks like they plan on gettin a lot of good talent in the draft and the later part of free agency.

Reaction score
Hawk30;46258 said:
Sounds to me like the new guys runnin the show have really big plans for us. They're gettin rid of a lot of guys, looks like they plan on gettin a lot of good talent in the draft and the later part of free agency.
hope so.... because we have a lot of holes to fill now.:no2:

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
3rd/4th rounder would be great to get out of Sims. Hasnt lived up to his potential. Need to get a gaurd though in FA wrotto/spence/willis aint gonna cut it.

ramanboy33

Huddler
Reaction score
Broncos fan here. I saw this news about Rob Sims and was curious if the Broncos might have interest. McDaniels is shifting the team away from the zone blocking scheme to a power blocking OL with bigger players. From the post here, it seems you value Sims at about a 3rd or 4th round pick value.

That said, two of the Broncos greatest needs are interior offensive linemen and 3-4 inside linebacker.

What do you think Seattle would say to a trade offer of Brandon Marshall for a package of Rob Sims, David Hawthorne, and your 2nd round pick? Too much to ask? A good deal for Seattle? Right on the money for both teams? Would you rather give up this package, or say the 14th overall selection?

Reaction score
Hawthorne started 11 games, had 94 solo tackles, 4 sacks, 5 pass defections, 3 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. He's also only 24 years old. If he was a restricted free agent I would put a 1st round tender on him.

Reaction score
I'd give up Tatupu before I'd give up Hawthorne. Hawth and a 2nd is way to much for Marshall and the $$$ he will be paid

Reaction score
I'd pass at giving up any first for him
We have to find 2+ OL
DE CB S RB backup QB and a few special teams guys to field a team. If Denver wants our 2nd they would have to take Branch.

ramanboy33;46308 said:
Broncos fan here. I saw this news about Rob Sims and was curious if the Broncos might have interest. McDaniels is shifting the team away from the zone blocking scheme to a power blocking OL with bigger players. From the post here, it seems you value Sims at about a 3rd or 4th round pick value.

That said, two of the Broncos greatest needs are interior offensive linemen and 3-4 inside linebacker.

What do you think Seattle would say to a trade offer of Brandon Marshall for a package of Rob Sims, David Hawthorne, and your 2nd round pick? Too much to ask? A good deal for Seattle? Right on the money for both teams? Would you rather give up this package, or say the 14th overall selection?

Reaction score
phaZe;46309 said:
Hawthrone started 11 games, had 94 solo tackles, 4 sacks, 5 pass defections, 3 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. He's also only 24 years old. If he was a restricted free agent I would put a 1st round tender on him.

or franchise him :emoticon-0125-mmm:

Reaction score
phaZe;46309 said:
Hawthrone started 11 games, had 94 solo tackles, 4 sacks, 5 pass defections, 3 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. He's also only 24 years old. If he was a restricted free agent I would put a 1st round tender on him.

He hasn't played enough to qualify for the RFA status thank God. He can only sign a tender with us, hold out or sign a long-term deal with us.

ramanboy33

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46311 said:
I'd pass at giving up any first for him
We have to find 2+ OL
DE CB S RB backup QB and a few special teams guys to field a team. If Denver wants our 2nd they would have to take Branch.

The fact of the matter is the Broncos are insisting on a 1st round pick (or a package with the value of a 1st round pick) in exchange for Marshall. I truly believe (and the FO here in Denver has made it crystal clear) they will not settle for anything less. Assuming the franchise tag remains a part of any future CBA, the Broncos control Marshall for the next 3 seasons, so assuming they don't get value, they'll just keep him. It's quite possible this is an impasse for the two teams - Seattle may just plain be unwilling to offer the 14th overall pick for him or a package of similar value.

That said, I think a package like I proposed would be about what it would take. In terms of value, two 2nd round picks is about equivalent to a first rounder. My proposal puts a collective value on Sims and Hawthorne of a high second rounder. We know Sims' value - he's unwanted by Seattle and he's tendered at a 4th round pick. That puts a late 2nd, very early 3rd value on Hawthorne. He's a young, promising LB who played very well when given the opportunity. He's also, as I see it, your backup ILB next season. Seems like fair value to me.

Dion Branch is, in terms of trade value, worthless. He's a backup WR with the contract of a pro bowler. I doubt the Broncos would trade their 7th round pick for him.

It boils down to the fact that Brandon Marshall is a 25 year old, pro bowl receiver - perhaps the most talented in the league (albeit a headcase). If the Broncos trade him they either want a player with potential to be just as good (a 1st round pick), or a collection of players and picks who could be solid contributors: Sims, Hawthorne, 2nd rounder. They're not looking to trade proven talent for a 2nd rounder and garbage (Branch).

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Our back up ILB is better than any LB you have on your roster - maybe even better than 9 of 11 of your defensive starters. It is understandable. You are trying to under value him, and we may over value him. Whatever the case, I seriously doubt he would be traded.

Reaction score
Number 18;46330 said:
Our back up ILB is better than any LB you have on your roster - maybe even better than 9 of 11 of your defensive starters. It is understandable. You are trying to under value him, and we may over value him. Whatever the case, I seriously doubt he would be traded.
Agreed. Hawthorne is better than a lot of starting linebackers in the NFL.

ramanboy33

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18;46330 said:

It's very possible the Seahawks consider him untouchable.

He has the potential to be a very good starter in the NFL for a long time. He also probably won't start as long as Tatupu is on your team and healthy. To get a great (top 5) player at a position of need you might have to trade a very good player at a position of strength. That's why I think the Broncos would ask for him as part of any trade package not involving a 1st round pick. In giving up a phenomenal talent in trade (Marshall) the Broncos aren't going to accept a 2nd rounder and a washed-up, overpaid player (Branch) in return. If not a first round pick, they'll want quality in return (2 or 3 potential solid contributors like Hawthorne and Sims).

As for Denver's linebackers, I'm not so sure I'd put Hawthorne above DJ Williams and Elvis Dumervil (I'm not saying I wouldn't though - to be fair, I haven't watched Hawthorne play that much).

Reaction score
Branch was successful in New England when Josh McDaniels was the offensive coordinator. There is a good chance he can be successful again under that offense if he is given a chance.

Elvis Dumervil: (26)
14 Games Started
42 Solo Tackles
17 Sacks
3 Pass Deflections
0 Interceptions
4 Forced Fumbles

D.J. Williams: (27)
16 Games Started
100 Solo Tackles
3.5 Sacks
7 Pass Deflections
0 Interceptions
3 Forced Fumbles

David Hawthorne: (24)
11 Games Started
94 Solo Tackles
4 Sacks
5 Pass Deflections
3 Interceptions
2 Forced Fumbles

Elvis Dumervil is more of a DE than a traditional NFL Linebacker. I didn't watch any Broncos games last season, but if you guys aren't running a 3-4 defense, you should be. Otherwise Dumervil should be moved to the DE position.

Reaction score
Then I say keep your headcase. Denver won't keep him around after next season with his problems and history.
Anyone that has seen Hawthorne play knows he better be a starter next year. He IS our best LB and it is stupid if Tatutu starts if The Missle is better because of money or that he went to USC.

ramanboy33;46328 said:
That said, I think a package like I proposed would be about what it would take. In terms of value, two 2nd round picks is about equivalent to a first rounder. My proposal puts a collective value on Sims and Hawthorne of a high second rounder. We know Sims' value - he's unwanted by Seattle and he's tendered at a 4th round pick. That puts a late 2nd, very early 3rd value on Hawthorne.).

Reaction score
Like I said I would do a Tatupu and Sims for him just to make the $$$ about equal to what we would have to pay Marshall.

Top Bottom