• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pete Carroll: Then v. The Week of 10/30

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I heard this on Mitch in the Morning and I thought it might be a fun "exercise" for this forum. Here is how it works:
  1. You have to provide two numbers.
  2. The first is how you felt about the Pete Carroll hire when it happened at the beginning of 2010.
  3. The second is how you feel about him this week after this last game.
  4. The scale is 1-10. 10 means you think he will do amazing things for the Seahawks and turn them into a dynasty. 1 is obviously the opposite of that.
  5. This particular thread pertains to this week only. It will be closed after this week and we will post another next week.
  6. Please try and be as accurate as possible about your "Then" number. It will stick with you from week to week (i.e. we will track them so you cannot go back and say, "See? I've always said he will be awesome," when he perennially sucks or vice versa).
Enjoy!

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
My numbers are 6 and 4.

I was not super hyped on him when we got him, because of his past endeavors as an NFL head coach. But his success at USC gave me hope. After all, Belichick was horrible his first go around(s). But I also was mindful of his "rah-rah" tactics and that clearly did not work for Mora. My hope slightly outweighed my skepticism, thus the 6.

Now I doubt his coaching abilities. He would score a 2 except I think his personnel abilities are good. Thus the 4. I think the most likely scenario right now would be that he brings in a lot of good talent, but cannot coach them. He gets fired, we get a better coach and dramatically improve due to the talent Carroll brought in.

Reaction score
8 and 6.

I was super stoked when he was first hired. I was so done with Mora and the Ruskell regime!!! I was calling for everyone’s heads and wanted a complete over haul…. I got it. I was happy with it, and thought Pete was the man for the job. I’ll be honest, I hated the guy at SC, but only because they were so damn good and whooped our asses for so many years. Was happy to finally have him on our side.
The only reason I dropped him to 6 was because of how bad he managed the game last week. I think he’s got an eye for talent and is building this to team to succeed for a long time. I think the only knock besides coaching would be the QB situation. I don’t know shit about making personnel decisions in the NFL, but I could’ve told you pretty confidently at the start of the season that we weren’t going anywhere with TJack or Douchewurst.
He seems to be building the team around the lines. Which seems to be the right thing to do. He’s solidified the D line. He’s working on improving the O line too. If the O line gels, and finally plays to its potential, all we need is a legit franchise QB. One should be available next year.
I just wish he would learn from his stupid coaching mistakes and stop repeating them. In his defense, the last two games were probably the 2 worst officiated games I have seen in my life. So many bad calls and penalties that either killed drives, took points away or helped the other team sustain their drives. If both of those games are called differently, the outcomes would be completely different. What would be saying then? Wins and Losses aren’t 100% the coaches fault.

Reaction score
Just listened to Danny O'Neil and Brewer on their 'monday night QB' show on KJR. Good listen.

I love the irony of football....

If Marshawn punches it in for a TD at the end of the second half, everyone is praising Pete for the gutsy call.

HawkNRoller

Huddler
Reaction score
8 and 3. I was happy to see Mora and Ruskell hit the road. Some of the turnover I understand, the not drafting a good QB prospect when they knew Hass was on the downslope...never understood that. I'm not high on Pete right now, and the inconsistency of this team drives me batshit. I can't stand our offense or the play calling.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
5 - was weary at first and disapointed we didnt get a 'proven' guy like grudes, cowher.
6.5 - Overall improvement in the team and upgrade over Mora, but last two games dropped him. Not accounting for JS moves and influence too, or I would be at a 7 or 7.5

Respectively with Mora I was at:

6 - dont ask why
2 - because he completely lost the team and was basically incompetent as a HC

Reaction score
8 - Carroll was a huge upgrade over Mora or "Moron".
6.5 - I know people will bash him for that Lynch run at the end of the 1st half. The only problem I had with that run is the fact that he wasted the last timeout right before it. If he kept that timeout they would have been able to pick up those 3 points.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I think people are over-reacting...

But that's the point of this thread (or this series of threads) - to chart how people feel and match the trends of how people feel about Carroll with his longer term successes/failures.

But to comment directly on overreacting, I disagree. I think everyone likes the "big picture," which is the personnel and the overall direction. How can you not? That's why I said my score would be lower if I did not count the personnel moves.

It is the smaller picture, the details, that I question, or more specifically, Carroll's actual coaching during a game. He continually does things that show that he just does not get that he is not coaching a collegiate powerhouse anymore. When he pulled some gaffes last year, I wrote it off. But the fact that he does them over and over to me the impression (which can change) that he is not learning.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I was suprised at how many ppl liked PC when he was annouced as HC.... 8's, really??? Is that because of excitement because of Mora's departure or were ppl really that excited to see PC, former USC (rival) coach come in?

@18.... PC has made some questionable calls... the long FG and the 4 and 2 call (which was a line audible i think), starting CW then switching, but even that is not out of the ordinary, CW got injured, where they going to go to portis right there? I like his gutsyness, not that I agree with all his calls, but there are many, many, bonehead calls made every Sunday by other proven NFL coaches.

Some still think Sean Payton's a genius for his 2nd half onside kick. It worked, they won the SB, he is a hero.
I still contend, it was a gutsy and foolish.

Reaction score
Such as what? Some people say the team is undisciplined, but I think its impossible to tell if that's because of PC or because the team is so young. Personally, I think the age of the team is more to blame for that. Also Tom Cable's offensive lines have always committed a lot of penalties.

His clock management has been pretty bad at times... He hasn't been in too many real game situations where that was a factor, but he's done what he did last week twice now. I didn't mind that he went for it this time, but you either run the ball and then call the time out. or you can call the time out, like they did, and throw the ball... I guess they thought they would catch the bengals off guard, but that's an awfully big risk.

One thing about Pate is you can tell the players enjoy playing for him and they just don't give up out on the field. You only have to go back to last week for an example of that where Tjack looked to be hurt, Brandon Tate returned that punt, then T-Jack still insisted on going out there... I mean, yes a comeback was still technically possible at that point, but it was very unlikely. And yes, it did go horribly wrong since he threw a pick six, but I'll take a hobbled Tarvaris over a healthy Whitehurst any day.

Reaction score
I was suprised at how many ppl liked PC when he was annouced as HC.... 8's, really??? Is that because of excitement because of Mora's departure or were ppl really that excited to see PC, former USC (rival) coach come in?

@18.... PC has made some questionable calls... the long FG and the 4 and 2 call (which was a line audible i think), starting CW then switching, but even that is not out of the ordinary, CW got injured, where they going to go to portis right there? I like his gutsyness, not that I agree with all his calls, but there are many, many, bonehead calls made every Sunday by other proven NFL coaches.

Some still think Sean Payton's a genius for his 2nd half onside kick. It worked, they won the SB, he is a hero.
I still contend, it was a gutsy and foolish.

T-Jack was the only guy he could put in, Portis has only been active for one game this year and that was against the Browns.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Such as what?

You really have to ask? His terrible clock management on multiple occasions. Thinking he can continually ram it down opponents' throats by going for it on 4th. The long field goal. The "option" play that hurt Jackson to begin with.

Like I said, it is not that he makes a mistake. It is that he does not seem to learn from his mistakes. He really answers to no one and I think that is a problem.

Reaction score
I addressed some of what I thought you were talking about. The long field goal, I kind of get.. I mean I would have gone for it, but I can understand what he was thinking. I don't think anyone realized how much better T-Jack was than Whitehurst, otherwise they wouldn't have taken as many risks on designed QB runs and option plays.

Reaction score
8-7

Really hated Mora at the time.... #One and I were on the way to spokane when i found out about it..... One really hyped Carroll, up to be honest i didnt care about NCAAFB. enough to know much about him. i didnt really even care though, anything over Mora......

As for the 7 I think we are headed in the right direction... But when we got rid of Matt this year i basically expected a crap season so i have a hard time overreacting to these bad games.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
It is that he does not seem to learn from his mistakes. He really answers to no one and I think that is a problem.

Funny you say that because they ran the same exact play, bootleg option, with a hurt TJack, and I was like... what? Really? But is that bevel or PC call? I think, probably, without any real insider knowledge, PC has veto power on plays, but Bevel is making the normal everydown play calling.

But 18 I do think PC does answer to his superiors, and that is his GM, the VP, and CEO. And whose to say he didnt get a thorough ass chewing for one of these, I mean none of us, or anyone in the media would know that.

Reaction score
The GM is not one of his superiors.... Carroll is Head coach and Executive Vice-president of the team he only answers to PA.

Reaction score
This thread really got me thinking...

Pete (and John) took over a really bad team. They have cleaned house and upgraded at every position except QB and maybe the kicker (?)

When they first let Matt walk, I was furious! But, it all makes sense now. How would Matt have faired behind this young line that has given up a league leading 28 sacks?

He's improved the defense tremedously, and every skill position on offense.

He's drafted 3 of the 5 starters on the line, and signed one in FA.

What would happen if he had drafted Dalton? Would he do as well in Seattle? I doubt it...

Anyways, this team is going in the right direction. Really reminds me of the packers when they were going through their rebuilding process, but benefitted from one of the biggest legends in football.

As soon as this oline gels, and they draft a true franchise QB, look the fuck out!! This team is going to be so damn dangerous!!

How many of you are still wishing we'd traded for Kolb?? LOL, not saying Tarvaris is a better than Kolb, but hes certainley playing like it!!

btw, yeah, some of his coaching decisions have me scratching my head... but again, hindsight is always 20/20. Its never good to second guess. That is what makes football exciting. We got so used to Holmgren and his conservative ways, that Carrolls ballsy moves seem like blasphemy. Lets be honest, how many of us were begging Holmgren to go for it in these types of situations and he NEVER did?? I know I did....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom