• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mariners news

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Ok so this place needs some activity...

Mariners are 3.5 out of first (although we're losing to Texas at the moment), we traded Betancourt for 2 minor league pitchers, and I have a man crush on Gutierrez :oops: :oops: I mean... Gutierrez is just tearing it up 12 game hitting streak hitting like .480 something during that time. And Russell Branyan SHOULD be an all-star.

Reaction score
We have Washburn and Bedard in the next two games. Hopefully we can win both and close in on the Rangers. 2.5 back looks a lot better than 5.5 back or even 6.5 back.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Wash! He's been money. Bedard struck out 8 in 4 innings last time out on a limited pitch count I think the stuff is there.

Reaction score
Yes, Branyan should be an all star. But Aardsma IMO is the one who truly got snubbed. The AL is very deep in first baseman, so I can see why Branyan wasn't in there. But Aardsma dominates all relievers in every category but saves, which is the most over rated stat in baseball. Don't forget about the Hannahan trade. He will be a solid asset.

Side Note: one of the minor league pitchers that we got is the best pitching prospect in that organization. We got a steal. All hail Jack Z!!

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
hawkfanadam said:
Yes, Branyan should be an all star. But Aardsma IMO is the one who truly got snubbed. The AL is very deep in first baseman, so I can see why Branyan wasn't in there. But Aardsma dominates all relievers in every category but saves, which is the most over rated stat in baseball. Don't forget about the Hannahan trade. He will be a solid asset.

Side Note: one of the minor league pitchers that we got is the best pitching prospect in that organization. We got a steal. All hail Jack Z!!

But if you look at the numbers Branyan is having a best season out of all the first basemen in the league. Even defensively he's been better than Texiara loooking at UZR. I was gone yesterday so I didn't hear about the Hannahan trade until like 11PM lol.

And that pitcher we got for Yuni has been having all kinds of issues this year with his command.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Ok, NOW the biggest snub is Branyan unquestionably... Dustin Pedroia won't be able to make the all-star game so Joe Maddon has Chose Carlos Pena to replace him... If he's taking a first baseman it should be Branyan.

Pena: 24 HR 58 RBI .233 AVG. .367 OB% .538 SLG%
Branyan: 22 HR 47RBI .283 AVG. .384 OB% .573 SLG%

Also on defense: Branyan's UZR is a .6 compared to Pena's -3.7

Better all around season is Branyan.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
Ok, NOW the biggest snub is Branyan unquestionably... Dustin Pedroia won't be able to make the all-star game so Joe Maddon has Chose Carlos Pena to replace him... If he's taking a first baseman it should be Branyan.

But do you really think Joe Maddon would take Branyan over his boy?

And as for Yuni... the value we got for him is amazing. Yeah, he is struggling with his command, but he is 22. That is so young. That is why he is their top prospect, also why Josh Fields is not on the big league club yet. But Josh Fields and the kids we got from the Royals will both make an impact in the near future. Count it.

Yuni had NO trade value. He was an impatient hitter with the most errors of any infielder. below a career .300 hitter, to get this kind of value off him was truly a steal, and something that Bad Luck Bav would never do.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
hawkfanadam said:
bobflipaburger said:

But do you really think Joe Maddon would take Branyan over his boy?

And as for Yuni... the value we got for him is amazing. Yeah, he is struggling with his command, but he is 22. That is so young. That is why he is their top prospect, also why Josh Fields is not on the big league club yet. But Josh Fields and the kids we got from the Royals will both make an impact in the near future. Count it.

Yuni had NO trade value. He was an impatient hitter with the most errors of any infielder. below a career .300 hitter, to get this kind of value off him was truly a steal, and something that Bad Luck Bav would never do.

Ok, but he took a 1st baseman to replace a 2nd baseman... Ian Kinsler should be an all star before carlos pena... Also charlie manuel picking Jason Werth is bull crap too. Matt Kemp should be an all-star before werth.

ONE of the prospects looks legit the other looks like a throw in.

Yuni has all kinds of potential... He's shown power, he's shown the ability to hit for average, he's got speed, and can make a lot of plays on defense. That's why this deal got done, but I don't think he'll ever realize that potential because he loses focus... His metal lapses are KC's problem now.

Reaction score
If Madden wanted a 1st Basemen he should have picked Branyan. Not only are his stats just as good as Pena, and he knows how to party. (Plus he's 33 and likely won't ever have the chance again)

175996463_46a5d3495b_o.jpg

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Ichiro, Felix, and Cliff Lee are on the cover of ESPN the magazine this week:
[ame]http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/espnmag[/ame]

Reaction score
2-4 this season so far. Thank God it's a long season, hopefully we'll get out of the funk and play winning baseball. Can't wait to see Cliffy show his stuff. Speaking of Lee, anyone else get the vibe he really doesn't want to be a Mariner?

Reaction score
Cliff Lee's agent already eyeing free agency for star pitcher for 2011:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5153932"]Cliff Lee's agent 'wouldn't anticipate' 2011 with Seattle Mariners - ESPN[/ame]

Reaction score
Junior fell asleep in the clubhouse according to two unnamed teammates. This is a matter that should have stayed in the clubhouse. I can bet you these are young guys fighting for playing time with Jr.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
HawksFan1987;48323 said:
I think its funny that the m's and hawks are both in the worst divisions of there sport:suicide_fool-edit:
There's no one team that stands out in the west, but no one sucks either. I mean the Mariners have been playing way below where they should be. They'll bounce back. Texas is actually looks pretty damn good, Oakand has NO star power, but they do have a ton of solid players, and the Angels are playing about just as well as I thought they would. Come the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 teams at least close to .500 I can see MAYBE 3 teams over .500 (just like last year). Something to keep in mind is the AL West is the smallest division in the league, only 4 teams. Take the Cardinals from the NL Central (that division actually has 6 teams so I could actually justify taking another team away as well) or the Twins from the AL Central and those divisions don't have much either.

Hard to argue with the seahawks being in the worst division though. Especially with Warner retiring.

Top Bottom