• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

J-J-Jimmy Graham?!?!

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
So we lose a Jimmy in our division and gain a Jimmy on our team. Me likely. Can't wait to see what this does for the run game as well as Russell's development. Going to miss Unger though. Thoughts?

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
He only played in 6 games last year. He was hurt most of the season. Granted, our run game was much better when he was in there, but now that he is gone and we have time on our side, just have to trust that Pete and John have a plan. I', excited to finally have a playmaker/red zone threat on our offense. I just hope the LOB doesn't kill him in practice, he pissed them off pretty good running his mouth at the Clink not too long ago.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
There are a lot of things to like about the trade no doubt about it. When he's healthy Graham is the top TE in the league along with Gronk. I do have slight concerns though about how the Hawks were able to totally snuff him out the last couple years and how he'll handle those tough defensive matchups going forward.

Always got to look at the flipside of any trade like this though. Not only is Unger possibly the best run blocking center in the league but he was the cohesive and stabilizing element for a line that's the weak link of the team. When he was in there he elevated the line to respectability. When he was out, they were bottom tier. In order for this trade to be a slam dunk win, they have some work to do on that line.

OP
12thManFan

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
How in hell are we gonna replace Max?

Understand though, chances are we weren't going to be able to bring him back after other contracts were dealt with, I think this was a move to continue keeping the roster built for the future. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I had no idea Unger was set to be a cap casualty. If that's the case then I guess as far as net gains go it's like the Hawks traded pick 31 for Graham and a 4th round pick. That kinda changes the complexion of the deal quite a bit.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
John Clayton made a great point earlier today about how this move has the added side effect of maintaining compensatory picks. The deal that Byron Maxwell signed, based on the dollar amount, nets the Seahawks a compensatory 3rd round pick. Maintaining those compensatory picks hinges on losing more free agents than they sign. So if they would have signed Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron, they likely would have lost that pick they gained by the Maxwell signing. By trading for Graham, they are instead able to retain that extra 3rd round pick.

The more I find out about the inner workings of this trade, the more I'm liking it. On the surface it looks like the Seahawks are throwing caution to the wind in a blockbuster, do or die trade. But as is often the case with Pete and John, this is a calculated, well thought out move that goes beyond just the acquisition of Graham. And after learning that Unger likely would have been a cap casualty, the cost was minimal compared to the returns.
Maintaining that compensatory pick might not seem like that big a deal at first glance but these guys have built this team on the leverage that comes with stockpiling draft picks. And it's not just the 3rd rounder for Maxwell but a possible 5th rounder acquired via the James Carpenter signing that they likely will also retain by going this route.

OP
12thManFan

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I had no idea Unger was set to be a cap casualty. If that's the case then I guess as far as net gains go it's like the Hawks traded pick 31 for Graham and a 4th round pick. That kinda changes the complexion of the deal quite a bit.

It's not that he would have been a cap casualty, just that when his contract comes up in the near future, I'm unsure if Seattle would have been able to work a new contract out and bring him back onboard. So instead of letting him walk for nothing, we get something in return that will last us another 3 seasons.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Initially I was FURIOUS when I heard the trade! Max is one of my fav players, we gave up a 1st, and for JIMMY GRAHAM who I cant stand. But after two days of learning more about it I have come around. First off, does anyone know his back story? Pretty amazing actually, a big saints fan at work told me... momma left him, went to boys school and got beat up, another family took him in, was H.S./College Basketball start, that didnt even play Football till his 5th year of college! Has two degrees. Does alot of benifits for wayward kids.

The other thing is too, I think he will be more useful to us in the run game because teams will have to take a LB out of the box.

All that said, I still not totally convinced on the trade. I think it really depends on how we back fill the O-line.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Max still had value though, I dont think they would have released him. They would have shopped him out, which is what they did.
Clayton was also under the impression Unger would have been a cap casualty. I guess it all would have depended on what kind of cap space they would have had when all the smoke cleared. But he definitely had trade value for sure. The Hawks are gonna miss Max.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Because Wilson makes so many plays with his legs we forget about how many sacks this dude has taken . Now if I'm the GM and im about to open up my wallet to make Wilson the highest paid player in football then I'm dam sure going to protect him .

I felt the 3 areas the Seahawks needed the most help at were WR / pass catcher - O-Line and D-Line

Graham adds 80-90 catches 7-12 TD's , he'll make Luke Willson better and you've got Anthony McCoy who before injury looked to be a beast at TE for blocking .

Unger was gone anyway ..at his age he was going to cash in somewhere for his final payday , at least this way we get something .

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Clayton was also under the impression Unger would have been a cap casualty. I guess it all would have depended on what kind of cap space they would have had when all the smoke cleared. But he definitely had trade value for sure. The Hawks are gonna miss Max.

Exactly, when I hear "cap casuality" it doesn't automatically mean 'release' just means they cant afford him or is this case maybe he wasn't worth is contract value to the team with other Olinemen knocking on the door.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
"Idahawk, post: 61813, member: 32"

Graham adds 80-90 catches 7-12 TD's , he'll make Luke Willson better and you've got Anthony McCoy who before injury looked to be a beast at TE for blocking .

TE group grade is an "A" now. I just hope that "Jimmy" is okay with not get the kind of stats he did in NO.
I think we will use him chess piece, dictating play call at the LOS, and running the ball. That is what we do best.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Seahawks somehow get something done with Stefen Wisniewski. He'd be a great replacement for Unger. Just don't let him leave town without a contract :D

Top Bottom