• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I know everybody is pumped for footbal but...

Reaction score
There's still some baseball left and I want to talk about it. In fact I want to talk about the Mariners. Specifically Felix Hernandez and how our offense's futility may rob him of the cy young this year

Sorry if you read this and feel I'm assuming you know nothing about baseball, I want everyone to understand what I'm saying, since this is a seahawks website I know not everyone is as big of a baseball fan as I am.

Ok the leading candidate. For the AL cy young right now is CC sabathia because he quite a few has more wins (19) than Felix (11). That's how the award has been determined for years, but that doesn't make sense the Cy Young is an individual award and wins are a team stat, in order to get wins your team has to score runs which is no problem for the Yankees (unless they're facing Felix Hernandez) they're the best offensive team in the league. That is a problem for the Mariners though who are by far the WORST offensive team in the league. The amount of run support Felix has gotten ALL SEASON (97 runs which is 3.32 per game) is equal to the amount of runs the Yankees scored for Sabathia by the end of June. There's a chance Felix by the end of the year will lead the AL in Ks, WHIP (Walks+Hits/Innings Pitched, it's a great stat. It's used to determine the amount of baserunners allowed per inning), ERA, and Innings Pitched (IP). He already leads in Ks and IP. He's 2nd in ERA (2.30 to Clay Buchholz's 2.25 but Felix has pitched 64 more innings than Buchholz) and he's 3rd in WHIP behind Cliff Lee and Trevor Cahill. If you put Felix in CC's situation with that offence he'd already have 20-22 wins. He's started 30 games this year and 27 of them have been quality starts (6 or more innings and 3 or less runs). Then there's the argument that Felix plays in the AL west and he doesn't play the Elite teams in the East as often as CC, but I'd like to point out CC NEVER has to face the Yankees who are the best offensive club in the league, except when they face Felix, he has a 0.35 ERA against them this season. He's been very good against tthe rest of the east as well, in fact his numbers against the east are better than CC's numbers against the weak hitting AL West. The only argument I really can refute is Felix plays in a pitchers ball park and CC plays in a hitters ball park, but that alone does not explain Felix's statisical domination of Sabathia.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
That's the point I'm trying to make. Take wins and losses out of the picture and Felix is CLEARLY the best pitcher in the league. Last year Grienke and Lincecum didn't lead the league in wins. In fact Lincecum only had 15 and Grienke only had 16. But Felix only has 11 with 5 starts left. Also last year there weren't any 20 game winners (Felix and CC led the league with 19 wins) CC already has 19 so he's a lock for 20. But if Felix has the same run support as CC he would have a shot at 25 wins.

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
They did it for Zach Greinke a couple of years ago, but honestly I don't think that Hernandez has had the same type of season as Greinke did that year. He is BY FAR the best pitcher in the AL West, but I don't think he is the best pitcher in the entire AL. I would take CC in a big situation over Hernandez. I am a Seattle lover don't get me wrong, but if the Yanks offered CC for King Felix straight up I would make that move everytime. Consistency is everything, Felix struggles with that sometimes.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
dizzle498;50194 said:
They did it for Zach Greinke a couple of years ago, but honestly I don't think that Hernandez has had the same type of season as Greinke did that year. He is BY FAR the best pitcher in the AL West, but I don't think he is the best pitcher in the entire AL. I would take CC in a big situation over Hernandez. I am a Seattle lover don't get me wrong, but if the Yanks offered CC for King Felix straight up I would make that move everytime. Consistency is everything, Felix struggles with that sometimes.

You're kidding, right? First off that was last year when Grienke won the Cy Young. Second Felix fisnished second last year AHEAD of Sabathia and he's been better than Sabathia again this year. Thirdly Felix is 24 years old, he's only going to get better for the next 7 or 8 years if you make that trade you get fired especially since not only is that a downgrade LONG term, it's a down grade short term, what about 27 out of 30 quality starts is inconsistant? I don't know how closely you follow baseball, but Felix two or three years ago may have had issues with inconsistancy, but now he is one of the best pitchers in the league and he has been ABSOLUTELY the best pitcher in the AL this year.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Ok so I just totally nerded out but here is what I just figured out.

If Felix Hernandez, David Price, and CC Sabathia were to have the league average of runs scored behind them every game their records respectively would be:

Felix: 21-5
CC: 20-7
Price: 20-2

Given those records Felix's other numbers push him over the top easily.

Also if you take CC's run support and give it to Felix in corresponding starts his record would be 27-4.

Now of course there are a lot of variables this method doesn't account for, but I think it gets the point across that Felix should win the Cy Young.

S

Seattlehawk94

Price is pitching for home field..

Chocolate Cake is pitching for home field...

Felix is pitching for a 100 loss team and might be shut down to protect his "record"..

So two guys pitching in playoff type games everytime they start might get beat out by a guy who ducks out to stay 13-12? Sorry not buying...

The ducking out is pathetic...Another set of proof that the eMbarrassers are stat whores who care more about numbers.."Shutting him down"....Pssssssshhhh...Ted Williams 1941, read about it..Seriously, read about the last day of the 1941,season and it will show what a bitch move it is if he ducks out..err..."Shuts it down"...

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
Felix should win, but won't win. I correct my earlier comment about how he shouldn't. He is the best pitcher in the AL. Sabathia and Price won't be going over 75 pitches, thats a fact. They need to pitch Felix. Get the extra W. Even in garbage time.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
That's not the only reason they might shut him down. He's thrown a lot of innings. And the fact that he's done what he's done for a team that might lose 100 games is impressive, he goes out there and pitches like he's in a penant race even thoufh the games mean essentially nothing.

S

Seattlehawk94

dizzle498;50636 said:
Felix should win, but won't win. I correct my earlier comment about how he shouldn't. He is the best pitcher in the AL. Sabathia and Price won't be going over 75 pitches, thats a fact. They need to pitch Felix. Get the extra W. Even in garbage time.

Why wouldn't they go over 75 pitches? They are playing for the AL East..Winner gets home field...Loser gets to be on the road in both series just to get out of the AL...Until the East is won Price and CHili Cheesefries are going as deep in games as they can...

Top Bottom