• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Goodbye Hasselbeck , Hello.......... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
tonos253;56002 said:
I wouldn't compare seneca wallace with Vince Young. Vince young is way more talented

I would say Whitehurst is just as good as either one of these guys, if not better overall.

Just because his primary role has been as a backup QB does not mean that he does not have the potential of being the starter in the right scenario. His backup roles have been behind proven veteran starters, so that does not mean he has not proven himself.

All of us, knowing how inexperienced Charlie was in regular season games, should be damn proud of him for putting together a great effort and pulling off the win to be beat the Rams when all of the weight was clearly on his shoulders.

PC gave him the first reps all week in practice, and stuck with him all the way, and I believe he proved he has plenty of potential by stepping up and leading us to the win for the division championship.

Seneca Wallace? Vince Young? Please .....

Lets focus on guys that we DO have on our roster and stand behind their potential and commitment to our team, first and foremost.

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
PacWest;56003 said:
I would say Whitehurst is just as good as either one of these guys, if not better overall.

Just because his primary role has been as a backup QB does not mean that he does not have the potential of being the starter in the right scenario. His backup roles have been behind proven veteran starters, so that does not mean he has not proven himself.

All of us, knowing how inexperienced Charlie was in regular season games, should be damn proud of him for putting together a great effort and pulling off the win to be beat the Rams when all of the weight was clearly on his shoulders.

PC gave him the first reps all week in practice, and stuck with him all the way, and I believe he proved he has plenty of potential by stepping up and leading us to the win for the division championship.

Seneca Wallace? Vince Young? Please .....

Lets focus on guys that we DO have on our roster and stand behind their potential and commitment to our team, first and foremost.

Charlie whitehurst is under contract for one more year. i highly doubt that we will extend his contract thus his playing time this year should be limited. Not a fan of him, he didn't say to much against St. louis, alot of his completions were short passes and didn't really connect on any deep passes besides one to williams. not saying he is a total bum but he shouldn't be our Quarterback next year

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
szat;55999 said:
VY Score: 15
Seneca: 14

Yes they are available publicily and no VY is not overly intelligent.

Maybe Pete could work with VY to get the best out of him, but one thing Pete and Schnider will not tolorate is low effort level. I think that is a problem with VY. Plus man, he has shown he can't handle the pressure that goes along with being a NFL QB. He is going to get one more shot with a team, but I dont think I want to be that guinnea pig.

i feel you, but look at VY record as a starter

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Idahawk;56001 said:
Donavan McNabb 14
Dan Marino 15

What does the test really mean ....jack shit. I have no dreams of my football players being brain surgeons when there done playing Big Ben( 25) rides a motorcycle without a helmet ..thats pretty dumb yet his score is 10 better then the above named guys ...so the test means nothing.

I rather have them try and throw the ball as far as they can in the combine , you would glean more info from that then you do wanting to know if a life long jock is book smart

If he can read 2 letters x and o thats good enough for me if the guy can ball

And that's probably why you are not an evaluator. Have you even seen questions on the Wonderlic? They are like 4th grade level. I wouldn't call getting a good score being book smart.

However, a good score can indicate a lot about a player's ability to take in large amounts of information and quickly arrive at a decision. That's just as important as if a "guy can ball" - at least in a QB position.

Saying it means jack shit is just as wrong as saying it can predict success. It is somewhere in the middle. It is just another tool to attempt to evaluate something that ultimately is a gamble.

Reaction score
tonos253;56006 said:

Good OL
GREAT RB
and a defense that's always been above average to great

VY didn't have to do much for them to win. When he did throw there was usually 8 or 9 men in the box to stop the run.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
Number 18;55947 said:
Bleh. I would hope for some sort of stop gap QB and get into position to draft from what is supposed to be a better QB class next year.

Why don't you tell us who your stop gap QB is ?

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
tonos253;56006 said:

I just put that because idahawker saying wonderlick is not available, and VY is NOT MENTALLY TOUGH! Guy went awall from his team, was suicidial, couldnt handle his own fans critisism....

But I will say he is a gamer, guy does make plays at the right times, I will admit. Just to unstable to bring him here IMO.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
szat;56013 said:
I just put that because idahawker saying wonderlick is not available, and VY is NOT MENTALLY TOUGH! Guy went awall from his team, was suicidial, couldnt handle his own fans critisism....

But I will say he is a gamer, guy does make plays at the right times, I will admit. Just to unstable to bring him here IMO.

Ya he went awall no doubt there is no denying that. But look how he played when he got a chance to step in again as the starter. He is a proven gamer and winner at every level he has played at. He has shown he can will a team to victory. Thats what I love about him.

Say what you want about him, but NONE of his problems had to do with his effort or work ethic like I believe I read someone post earlier. Every time there was a problem, it was because he wanted to be out on the field playing like he deserved to be and not be sitting on the sideline because his coach was looking for any excuse to sit him because he hated him. I think taking a flyer on a guy like him is low risk high reward considering Tennessee drops him.

Reaction score
I think it's more likely they will draft a player or trade for one if Hasselbeck is lost to free agency. Leinart is still a possibility and so is Vince Young, but I think both of those guys will demand bigger contracts than they should get.

What do you guys think about Carroll bringing in JaMarcus Russell? I don't think Russell will change, but I think a lot of people said the same thing about Mike Williams and we all know how he ended up.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
szat;56013 said:

I still find it hard to believe that a players personal information ala test scores are public information . First of all the player would not want those out there good or bad and certainly the team that was drafting the player would not want a low score on test out there for a guy they picked so the fans could heckle

I have seen about 5 different scores for VY so far , so I call BS on all of that . You believe what you want to Scat . I say no way unless the player chooses to make public

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Wonderlick is not the end all be all of aptitude. And certianlly not of a players football prowless, its just one indicator.

YOur really are a Vince Young fan arent you?

Ya know your starting to turn me on this one...
He is exceptionally talented, he wins games. I guess if the price were right... I do think Fischer is a bit of a prick.

I mean VY isnt a bad guy, just had/has some maturing to do.

Like I said, He'll definetly get one more shot....
Hey thanks for helping me see the light on this one Idatot!

:emoticon-0182-poolp

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
szat;56017 said:
Wonderlick is not the end all be all of aptitude. And certianlly not of a players football prowless, its just one indicator.

YOur really are a Vince Young fan arent you?

Ya know your starting to turn me on this one...
He is exceptionally talented, he wins games. I guess if the price were right... I do think Fischer is a bit of a prick.

I mean VY isnt a bad guy, just had/has some maturing to do.

Like I said, He'll definetly get one more shot....
Hey thanks for helping me see the light on this one Idatot!

:emoticon-0182-poolp

I just threw my lap top into the stands !

Cano51

Huddler
Reaction score
I would be pretty disappointed if the hawks would try to sign and overpay one of those guys (russel, young, leinart or even mcnabb). Hell, i wouldnt even like to have the 1st overal draft pick this year and get a qb.

get Matt back, or start whitehurst. Hope they saw smth in him to pay a 3rd string qb 5 millions a year. Wait for next year qb class. We have so many big holes to fill b4 qb.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Cano51;56020 said:
I would be pretty disappointed if the hawks would try to sign and overpay one of those guys (russel, young, leinart or even mcnabb). Hell, i wouldnt even like to have the 1st overal draft pick this year and get a qb.

get Matt back, or start whitehurst. Hope they saw smth in him to pay a 3rd string qb 5 millions a year. Wait for next year qb class. We have so many big holes to fill b4 qb.

That is why I said at the right price...meaning not overpaying. It is looking like we are going to be overpaying Matt anyways. I love Hass, but he wants too much money and we can't break the bank on a guy that is towards the end of his career and is really fragile. If he is willing to take less money obviously I want him back for another 2 years or so and get a young guy NOW to groom under him.

Start Whitehurst? To me that would be giving up on the season before it even begins. You don't play a season for a draft pick. And after bringing the Hawks to the playoffs, to lay an egg in season two could mean bad news for Pete. Look for him to try and get the QB situation fixed this offseason. Whether that is resign Matt and draft a guy to sit behind him for a few years, go after a guy like Young, or draft a guy that they think they can start now...something needs to be done this offseason. You can't say "oh we can wait until next year to address the QB situation". That is what everyone says every year. This is the time, no more waiting. Matt isn't getting any younger so if they want to groom a guy behind him they need to do it now.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't have a preference for a stop gap QB, that's why he would be a stop gap...

As for thinking the Wonderlic score is personal information, why it is it any more or less personal than his 40 time? It is not as if players go in thinking, "Oh, this is all absolutely confidential."

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
Number 18;56023 said:
I don't have a preference for a stop gap QB, that's why he would be a stop gap...

As for thinking the Wonderlic score is personal information, why it is it any more or less personal than his 40 time? It is not as if players go in thinking, "Oh, this is all absolutely confidential."

"But there remain flaws within the system, and that contributes to the controversy that keeps Eldon Wonderlic’s creation alive and relevant. Many prospects’ supposedly confidential scores are made public each year, most notably five years ago when University of Texas quarterback Vince Young reportedly scored a 6, a number so low that it often suggests literacy problems or learning disabilities. That score was refuted, and Young later scored a 16. Charles Wonderlic says that about a quarter of the leaked scores are incorrect, but whether they’re false or not, damage is often done within public opinion. He says the Wonderlic Company scores the tests from the combine, then sends the results to the NFL, which then distributes them to teams. Each team’s decision-makers then see a copy, he says, and from there, it’s difficult to maintain confidentiality because the more eyes are on the results, the higher the likelihood of leaks."

Read more: The News Tribune (Lite) - Daughter of Wonderlic test’s creator says NFL misuses it

Maybe we can "stop gap" the whole wonderlick thing now and stay on the topic

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
What sucks is that MH was hurt the last couple seasons , that kept us from giving him an extention.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I did address your question about your "topic." I said it does not matter who the QB is next if they are not a long term solution.

As far as the Wonderlic, your article really has no effect on anything I have said. Again, "supposedly" confidential and the past experience with scores being leaked should give a player, if they have any aptitude whatsoever, the expectation that their score will be public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom