• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ex-Husky Kearse having strong camp with Seahawks

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Ex-Husky Kearse having strong camp with Seahawks

listenListen: Jermaine Kearse on the competition at wide receiver
Seahawks wide receiver Jermaine Kearse tells "Wyman, Mike and Moore" about the competition he's facing for a roster spot, the Lasik eye surgery he underwent this offseason and the impact he thinks it will have on his game.
105899.jpg

Jermaine Kearse, an undrafted free agent in 2012, has been one of the standouts of Seahawks training camp. (AP)

By Jim Moore
I'll be honest, it's not easy for me to root for Husky players even after they leave the University of Washington. As a Coug, I get so used to rooting against them when they're Dawgs that it's hard to pull for them when they move on to the NFL.
But when they play for the Seahawks like Jermaine Kearse does, and when you'd like to see the Seahawks win a Super Bowl, you have to make a conscious decision to look at the greater good and check your purple-and-gold pettiness at the door.
Michael Grey and I talked to Kearse on "Wyman, Mike and Moore" Tuesday. The second-year wide receiver is having a terrific camp.
When you're a Seahawks' wide receiver, you need to be having a terrific camp or you'll be cut at some point – that's how loaded this team is at that position. Especially with Percy Harvin out, Kearse figures to be one of the receivers who will make the team along with three locks: Sidney Rice, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. It will be quite the battle during preseason for one or two other spots among Stephen Williams, Chris Harper, Bryan Walters, Phil Bates and Early Doucet.
As you know, Kearse's career at Washington featured some really good and bad stuff.
The good: He was second in UW history to Reggie Williams with 180 receptions.
The bad: During his junior season, he dropped 11 passes, including seven in a three-week span.
His drops frequently led to the appearance of my favorite Husky. Yes, that's right, believe it or not, every year I have a favorite Husky. And every year, it's the same guy – their punter.
Partly because of Kearse's inconsistency, he wasn't drafted. Watching the 2012 draft was difficult, but it's helped Kearse to remember what Washington coach Steve Sarkisian told him: "It's not where you start, it's where you finish."
Kearse played in seven games last year and made three catches. He figures to see more action this year, improving his game by going against the NFL's top secondary in practice. He'll ask Richard Sherman if the cornerback sees anything he's doing that tips off his routes. The receivers also critique each other.
"We want to be one of the best receiving corps in the NFL," Kearse said. "We're all trying to make each other better."
Much has been made of Kearse's LASIK procedure in February. He doesn't have to mess with contacts slipping on his eyes or fogging up and blurring his vision anymore. He has 20-15 vision now.
"My vision wasn't that terrible, but it's definitely helped a lot," Kearse said. "I'm not gonna use contacts as an excuse (for dropped passes), but not having to worry about that does help."
Quarterback Russell Wilson noticed Kearse's improvement when the skill players got together this summer in Los Angeles
"Jermaine was one of the guys who really stood out," Wilson said. "He looked unbelievable down there. He's got great hands, great instincts. He has great hips in terms of moving and adjusting to the football.
"He has a lot of ability. I'm excited to see where he goes this year. He can do it all."

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Russell Wilson offered specifics when asked about Kearse and Bates in particular.

• On Kearse: "We went down to California together, and Jermaine was one of the guys that really stood out. Kearse, he looked unbelievable down there. He has looked unbelievable since we've been training here in Seattle all offseason together. He just has great hands, great instincts. He has great hips in terms of moving and adjusting to the football. I'm really excited to see where he goes this year. He can do it all."

• On Bates: "Phil is more and more aggressive every day. That is one of the things I've been trying to push him with and talk to him about, because he has huge hands. He has long arms. He is a strong kid. He goes and just attacks the football and has that mentality of, 'I'm going to get to this every single time the ball comes to me.' ... He has really attacked the football, and it has taken a lot of dedication to that. We have worked at it every day. I'm really proud of him."

Rookie fourth-round pick Harper is another young receiver trying to stick with Seattle. I didn't get Wilson's take on him, but I did see Harper step in front of cornerback Jeremy Lane to make a touchdown grab in the red zone during practice Tuesday. The 6-foot-1, 234-pound Harper is easy to spot for a height-weight ratio generally associated with fullbacks or linebackers, not wide receivers.

Another receiver, 27-year-old Stephen Williams, has had arguably as strong a camp as any other Seattle wideout. He flashed ability with Arizona in past offseasons but never quite broke through. Following Wilson's advice wouldn't hurt.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Kearse showed promise last year, one play in particular I recall, was one of the most amazing plays Ive ever seen by a QB. RW was scrambling and made a throw (wrist flip) while being taken down to the ground. The ball floated, opposite side, Kearse was on an out route and made a beautiful grap.

I could see him making this team, and maybe even becoming one RW go to guys in the future. He is a big, lanky, fast, prototypical, Pete Carrol, split end. I could see him being #4 or 5 on the depth chart.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Szat, that play sounds familiar, I think that was ex Duck Tuinui on that catch?

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Epic Fail if I were to confuse those two players, but yeah I think that is the play.

Top Bottom