• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charlie Whitehurst: Calm, Cool and Collected-ready for Browns

travisduncan

Huddler
Reaction score
One of the biggest cliches which haunts NFL commentary is the attributing of "poise" to successful quarterbacks and calculating the lack therof to quarterbacks who struggle.

For what it's worth Charlie Whitehurst has great poise. He handles the press conference with ease, and even answers what some might consider difficult questions regarding his role as a backup for Tarvaris Jackson without blinking an eye.

"I'm confident if my number is called I can preform," he smiled as he told reporters Thursday that he's ready to play Sunday in Cleveland.

Whitehurst hasn't officially been named the starter for whatever reason, but it's almost a certainty at this point, as Jackson didn't take reps with the first team as he recovers from a pectoral strain.

As he showed in relief of Jackson Oct. 9 in New York, Whitehurst says running the no-huddle offense helps him focus in on the task at hand.

"I like it, it puts pressure on the defense," he said. "We've seen that the last two weeks. I'm comfortable out there. You know the calls. You're kind of in control back there too. That's nice. You get the feel of the game. You get to call some of your own plays. It puts your head in the game even that much more."

Whitehurst will got up against the league's No. 7 defense this Sunday in Cleveland. The Browns have a tremendous ability to bring pressure and have sacked the quarterback 13 times in six games. They have not generated that many interceptions, just three so far this season, but they have good corners, in particular second-year pro Joe Haden.

Whitehurst says after watching the field he thinks the Browns don't really have a weakness on defense and that they do everything pretty well.

"They're very sound defensively."

"[Defensive coordinator] Dick Jauron has always been that way. They bring pressure and when they bring it you got to be prepared for it, and when they sit back you have to execute. They contest most of the passes I've seen on film, a bunch of their corners are playing well so we'll have to be ready."

And if Whitehurst is able to escape the Browns pressure , move the offense and come away with a win? Does he keep the job? Based on Pete Carroll's previous comments, he would not. But you never know how thinking can change if the Seahawks can come away with their second straight win on the road.

Top Bottom