• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Alex Brown for Rob Sims?

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd be down too. I read he is being considered by a lot of teams that run a 3-4 defense. Is this another piece of carroll and schneider compiling a 3-4 defense? Only thing really missing would be a big NT. There are a few of those in the draft, one being Dan Williams from Tennessee. I guess we will see...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46715 said:
isn't he undersized if we are going 3-4
Just read this after I wrote my response. But from what I read he is being looked at by a lot of 3-4 teams so im thinking he is a good fit as a 3-4 end. At least he is regarded as one by a number of teams.

Reaction score
I don't care if he is a little undersized as long as he can make tackles and bring pressure.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;46721 said:
I don't think anyone on the coaching staff has mentioned a move to 3-4.
No one said we were going to a 3-4. It was a question. Since some of the moves we have made: acquiring depth at the linebacker position, trading tapp for clemons who is perfect for a 3-4 rushing linebacker, and possibly getting alex brown who many 3-4 teams are trying to acquire. The question was do the pieces they seem to be putting together seem to be leading to a 3-4 defense. I just answered the question of whether he is undersized for a DE if we do switch to a 3-4.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
sigpro;46723 said:
Maybe 14th overall the Hawks take Dan Williams?
Depending on what we do with the 6th pick i would love that...if he falls to 14. Some people have him going top 12 but he is an absolute beast. Would be good in a 4-3 or 3-4. Is your prototypical NT. Cam Thomas from UNC may also be available with the 60th pick. He is also a prototypical NT and is very big and strong. If they draft either of those guys you can be sure they plan on switching to a 3-4. Maybe that isnt even what they plan on doing, but i have a hunch it is by some of the moves they have made so far this offseason.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;46722 said:
No one said we were going to a 3-4. It was a question. Since some of the moves we have made: acquiring depth at the linebacker position, trading tapp for clemons who is perfect for a 3-4 rushing linebacker, and possibly getting alex brown who many 3-4 teams are trying to acquire. The question was do the pieces they seem to be putting together seem to be leading to a 3-4 defense. I just answered the question of whether he is undersized for a DE if we do switch to a 3-4.
Right now the Seahawks have 3 starters (Tatupu, Hill & Curry) and 3 backups (Hawthorne, McCoy & Herring). They had 7 linebackers last season and didn't run the 3-4.

I think they should go to a 3-4 especially with the emergence of Hawthorne, but I don't think adding one or two linebackers indicates they will. Right now they have 5 defensive ends and could be trading for a 6th. That's a lot of depth for a position that only puts two guys on the field at once.

Might not be getting Brown after all: The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Bears are interested in Sims, but that Seattle would prefer receiving a draft choice instead of the 30-year-old Brown.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;46725 said:
Right now the Seahawks have 3 starters (Tatupu, Hill & Curry) and 3 backups (Hawthorne, McCoy & Herring). They had 7 linebackers last season and didn't run the 3-4.

I think they should go to a 3-4 especially with the emergence of Hawthorne, but I don't think adding one or two linebackers indicates they will. Right now they have 5 defensive ends and could be trading for a 6th. That's a lot of depth for a position that only puts two guys on the field at once.
If you read what i said, Clemons who they got in the trade for Tapp is perfect for a 3-4 rushing linebacker. Yes he played DE for Philly, but he weighs 240 pounds and much like Elvis Dumerville was moved to outside linebacker in Denver's 3-4 i can see them doing that with him. So them picking up him i would consider getting another linebacker. They didn't run a 3-4 last year for 2 reasons. 1 being that we had a different coach in Mora. 2 being that the emergence of Hawthorne as a solid starter didn't happen until a few games into the season. They aren't going to completely change things in the middle of a season. A change like that is drastic, especially when no one was familiar with it. Not to mention Tatupu was hurt for basically the entire year. Seeing that Carroll and Bradley have the entire off-season to implement it if they want to and knowing that they have 4 solid starters at linebacker, i think it is a very big possibility.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;46726 said:
If you read what i said, Clemons who they got in the trade for Tapp is perfect for a 3-4 rushing linebacker. Yes he played DE for Philly, but he weighs 240 pounds and much like Elvis Dumerville was moved to outside linebacker in Denver's 3-4 i can see them doing that with him. So them picking up him i would consider getting another linebacker. They didn't run a 3-4 last year for 2 reasons. 1 being that we had a different coach in Mora. 2 being that the emergence of Hawthorne as a solid starter didn't happen until a few games into the season. They aren't going to completely change things in the middle of a season. A change like that is drastic, especially when no one was familiar with it. Not to mention Tatupu was hurt for basically the entire year. Seeing that Carroll and Bradley have the entire off-season to implement it if they want to and knowing that they have 4 solid starters at linebacker, i think it is a very big possibility.
I agree, there is a big possibility that they will switch to a 3-4 defense this off-season. I believe Mora was asked a question about switching to a 3-4 defense on the Jim Mora Show last season because of how well Hawthorne was playing and if I remember correctly he wasn't against it. If Mora recognized that a 3-4 defense would be a good idea, I think Carroll will be able to recognize it too.

Also, don't forget that Carroll wants to create competition at every position so adding depth might not be a sure sign that they're going to switch to a 3-4 defense.

Reaction score
#ONE;46730 said:
What a shocker? We don't want another old guy at the DE position, past his prime...

Take a draft pick. 3rd rounder and call it a day. The bears traded for Culter so you know they're stupid.
I agree. Sims for a 3rd rounder would be a great trade.

Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46734 said:
He has a 4th round tender
who in their right mind would give us a 3rd without us having to take on salary
I forgot he had a 4th round tender on him. The only way the Seahawks can get a 3rd round pick would be if they included someone else. Maybe Branch?

Reaction score
Chicago was one spot rumored to be linked with Branch earlier in the off-season, but then Schneider and Carroll both said they want Branch back.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;46730 said:
What a shocker? We don't want another old guy at the DE position, past his prime...

Take a draft pick. 3rd rounder and call it a day. The bears traded for Culter so you know they're stupid.

Hell yeah you take Alex Brown, Id take his contract too, it only has 1-2 years left on it.. Have you ever talked to a bears fan? They love this guy.

Duck, Kerney was up and down his whole carrerr with injuries, is 33 yrs old, and has more playing time (years). Alex stats seem way more consistant, and would be a good replacement for Tapp.

I say get him while you can. Do we really want to draft another DE!?

Top Bottom