• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

9/28/11, the craziest night of baseball I've ever seen!

Reaction score
In case you somehow missed it...

Today was the 162nd and final game of the season for all the teams involved in the race. The Rays and Cardinals both were back about 10 games for the NL and AL wild cards respectively at the beginning of the month. On the final game of the season the Cardinals find themselves tied with the Braves for the NL wildcard. The Cardinals take care of business and beat the Pirates easily. In Atlanta the Braves play the Phillies in a game that goes 13 innings where they finally lose on a go ahead infield single by Hunter Pence which clinches the NL Wild Card for the Cardinals. In Baltimore the Red Sox are playing the Orioles, they're winning 3-2 before the game goes into a rain delay. It looks like the Red Sox are going to win or they'll AT LEAST be playing in a one game playoff against the Rays on Thursday. In St. Petersberg the Rays are getting destroyed by the Yankees 7-0 until the Rays put up SIX runs in the 8th. Then in the 9th Joe Maddon decides to pinch hit Dan Johnson for Sam Fuld with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with no one on base. Johnson proceeds to hit a game-tying solo home run minutes before the tarp is pulled of the field and play resumes in Baltimore. Both scores remain the same until the bottom of the 9th in Baltimore when Johnathan Papelbon gives up 2 runs with two outs and the Orioles win 4-2. Just minutes later Evan Longoria hits a line drive walkoff home run to clinch the final playoff spot for the Rays.

I'm still blown away.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
So what's that? 4 games with the playoffs on the line to get maybe in the vicinity of the same level of awesomeness as one ordinary NFL game?

S

Seattlehawk94

18, it was a great night...No need to downgrade it....Probably more exciting than most NFL playoff weekends...What the Rays did last night would be like a team going 0-6 to start the season then needing a win in the last game to make the playoffs only to fall down 30-0 in the 4th Quarter and rally to win in OT....

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I'll give you the down 30-0 and rally to win in OT, but not the 0-6 start. It's more like the Seahawks and 49ers going 8-0 and the Cardinals going 5-3 to start and then the 49ers drop 7 and Cardinals continue to play more or less like they have. Then both end up at 8-7 (while of course the Seahawks continue on a 16-0 trajectory) and the one who reaches 9-7 gets the wild card.

The Red Sox collapsed. The Rays did not go on some unreal tear.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
The Rays went 17-10 in September, that may not be a "tear," but the wild card didn't just fall in their lap. They earned it.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
But it isn't like an o-6 football start comparison.

The Red Sox were what in September? 7-20 or something? They play even .500 ball and the Rays come nowhere close to sniffing the post season.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Well its also not like recovering from 0-6 because the Rays were pretty good entering the last month of the season. They did start slow, but only to the equivalent of like an 0-1 maybe 0-2 start. I'd say its like coming back from a 3 game deficit with 4 weeks left.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
At the beginning of September there was a 99.6% chance the Red Sox would win the wild card.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I'm with 18 . where's the magic in teams that play 160 plus games winning one of them ? The Yankees own the AL anyway so who cares , baseball sucks.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
The super bowl is just one game, I guess that isn't "magic" either.

Yankees probably won't even beat the Tigers with how their playing and all the questions about the Yankees starting pitching.

Baseball is awesome.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone can think that baseball sucks... But to each their own I guess.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I do not really care for any sport other than football. So I am not going to be overly kind about them. Not sure why. But they all just bore me.

Reaction score
Baseball was fun to watch when guys were hitting home runs left and right, but since they cracked down on performance enhancing drugs, the game has really become boring. The postseason is still exciting, but most of the regular season is boring, especially for Mariners fans.

Top Bottom